Q. I have terrible gas and nausea without diarrhea and vomiting. Could this be stomach flu?

Dr. Nasir

Can you have the stomach flu without diarrhea and vomiting? Because I am experiencing terrible gas and nausea. My body aches all over, but I do not have a fever. Please help.

#

It might not exactly be stomach flu. We can try out antacids and medicines for nausea to treat them. If it were some gastrointestinal infection, you would have had pain in the abdomen and loose stools for fever. The absence of these points away from the diagnosis of gastrointestinal infection.

There are many causes of nausea, but if nausea gets treated with medications, we do not go into the depth of analyzing the cause of nausea. Let me know if you want me to prescribe medications for your nausea and gas problem.

Well, I was on Nexium for six to seven years, but I stopped that, and my doctor put me on this new antacid Pantoprazole Sandoz 40 mg. Could that be the cause of my nauseousness? I started it about two to three days ago.

#

Pantoprazole is an antacid that helps to decrease acid production in the stomach. Kindly use tablet Ondansetron 4 mg once daily so that the nausea is cured. You can use up to thrice daily. Ondansetron is a strong antiemetic, and it will help with nausea. You can use syrup Aristozyme, which will help your digestion so that your gases are alleviated.

If your symptoms are not cured with these medications, then we might have to get one complete blood count, and one renal function test is done, which are basically to evaluate the cause of nausea. Let me know if the medication help.

|