Q. I have neck and shoulder pain that go away when I lie down. Any suggestions?

Dr. Firas Arnaout
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I complained of neck and shoulder pain. It was diagnosed to be muscle spasm by a doctor. X-ray has been taken. I was given cream and Muscadol tablets. I used ice and some exercise. It worked over 90 % but the problem is I feel pain after sitting on a chair for 10 minutes continually. It goes away when I lay on my back. Any suggestion please? Note it is an old problem approximately four years. Also, nine years back, I suffered from neck stiffness.

Dr. Firas Arnaout

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

Your young age makes arthritis (wear and tear) unlikely. And you did not mention any history of traumatic injuries to your neck.

The issue seems to be postural as the pain appears after sitting up and resolves on lying down. It would be useful to check the Xrays to confirm there are no bony issues.

You will then need to have your desk and chair adjusted to allow support for your neck. There are also some neck braces that you can use for added support.

I hope you find this answer helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|