Q. I have neck and shoulder pain that go away when I lie down. Any suggestions?

Dr. Firas Arnaout

I complained of neck and shoulder pain. It was diagnosed to be muscle spasm by a doctor. X-ray has been taken. I was given cream and Muscadol tablets. I used ice and some exercise. It worked over 90 % but the problem is I feel pain after sitting on a chair for 10 minutes continually. It goes away when I lay on my back. Any suggestion please? Note it is an old problem approximately four years. Also, nine years back, I suffered from neck stiffness.

Do you have a question on Neck Pain or Poor Posture At Your Work Place?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Firas Arnaout

FELLOWSHIP OF ROYAL COLLEGE OF SURGEONS IN TRAUMA & ORTHOPAEDIC SURGERY FRCS., FELLOWSHIP OF EUROPEAN BOARD OF
Orthopedics And Traumatology

Your young age makes arthritis (wear and tear) unlikely. And you did not mention any history of traumatic injuries to your neck.

The issue seems to be postural as the pain appears after sitting up and resolves on lying down. It would be useful to check the Xrays to confirm there are no bony issues.

You will then need to have your desk and chair adjusted to allow support for your neck. There are also some neck braces that you can use for added support.

I hope you find this answer helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

How to rule out neck pain and numbness?
Query: Hi doctor, A physiotherapist did some manipulation with my neck and since then when I fall asleep at night, my arms, hands, upper back (area just below the neck) and brain feels weird as if blood supply is cut. This happens several times during the night while I am sleeping and these symptoms go aw...  Read Full »
Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned pain and numbness in your upper limbs after manipulation was done by a physical therapist. You have also mentioned both upper limb involvement which is actually a surprise because normal spinal manipulations should not actually lead to this especial...  Read Full »

Why is there neck pain on turning to side?
Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my neck whenever I turn it to the left, occurring in the back left-hand side of my neck, and this has been happening for the last six months. I am currently on no medication. I am a female, age 15, 5'5".  Read Full »
Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. I feel that there could be some facet irritation that can lead to this restriction and pain on your left side of the neck. Do not worry. I suggest you to kindly use a neck pillow or support your neck properly while sleeping. At least make su...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now