Q. I have severe neck pain with discomfort. Kindly explain my MRI report.

Dr. Aida Quka
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2020

I am a 29-year-old male. I have severe neck pain. I have taken multiple x-ray and MRI from different laboratories but they provide conflicting reports. I am getting quite stressed out as to what is causing the discomfort and pain and what are the treatments I should go for. I have seen a neurologist, and he referred me to a physiotherapist. I have also seen an orthopedic surgeon, and he prescribed a neck brace. I have been going to different physiotherapists with not much improvements. I have attached my reports.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Your spine MRI is normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). So, there is no reason to panic. It seems to be just a musculoskeletal pain (muscle spasm).

I recommend taking Ibuprofen coupled with Flexeril (Cyclobenzaprine). Physiotherapy can help too. Gabapentin is another treatment to consider if your situation does not improve with the above treatment.

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need.

| 

Kindly review my cervical spine MRI taken today.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I reviewed carefully your cervical spine MRI reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that it shows a mild disc protrusion, which is causing local pain in the neck. I recommend taking Ibuprofen and Flexeril. A cervical collar can help for a couple of weeks.

But nothing serious is going on. Your situation is going to improve in a couple of weeks. I recommend avoiding abrupt neck movements and heavy weights lifting. It is also necessary to use an orthopedic pillow.

|