Q. My doctor advised Humira for RA. Is that right?

Answered by
Dr. Prakash H. M
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 06, 2021

Hi doctor,

One year ago, I was diagnosed with RA. I believe that there is more going on. I am currently taking Methotrexate 20 mg once a week, Folic acid 1 mg daily, Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg daily and Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg twice a day. Also, I just began taking Celecoxib 200 mg for pain. I saw the RA physician yesterday, and they want me to start taking Humira. Additionally, I was given a Cortisone injection yesterday. My symptoms are as follows: I am having circulation difficulties. All ten toes feel partly numb. I am losing muscle mass and becoming weak. I also feel an icy cold sensation in my ankles and front of my legs. This morning, I had that same sensation in my chest. Over the past six months, I have developed lumps of various sizes on all my muscles, which appear to run along meridians. When I push on them, it feels as if I am pushing on a bruise. I include my blood panel that was taken a week. I feel like something is going on in my lymphatic system. I need a second opinion.



Welcome to

Based on your query and attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:

  • The C-reactive protein level is highly elevated indicating ongoing high level of damage in the tissues of the body.
  • Now, the immediate need is to reduce inflammation and thereby any further harm. Immunomodulators like Humira (Adalimumab) and immunosuppressants like Cortisone is essential. Your doctor is right in trying to control the inflammation, and hence, the treatment is necessary.
  • The lumps, you might be feeling are called as rheumatoid nodules. They usually form around joints. They are secondary to inflammation and more the inflammation, more a number of nodules.
  • Do start the treatment as advised.

For further information consult a hematologist online -->

Hi doctor,

Thank you for your quick reply. I will enroll the next time ifI have any further information.



Welcome back to

Thank you for appreciation. Happy to help you anytime and will try to reply as soon as possible.

For further doubts consult a hematologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What does stress have to do with Crohn's disease?

.. a very good treatment response to Adalimumab. You are on top-down therapy. Usually, flares are due to non-compliance with medications, secondary infections or malignant transformation. Usually, stress does not cause flare-ups. You may be switche...   Read full

What is the cause for increase in CRP level?

The CRP (C-reactive protein) raised in case of any inflammation in the body ...   Read full

I have rheumatoid arthritis with severe pain in joints. Kindly help.

Hello doctor, I am suffering from rheumatoid arthritis for the past four years and it was diagnosed six months ago ... A diagnosed case of rheumatoid arthritis on biological agent, still having ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Hematologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.