Q. Will I contract HIV if the same syringe is reused for blood tests in labs?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

I am a 29-year-old male. Just a few weeks back, I went to one of the labs for a blood test. I gave my blood sample for a test also I was monitoring closely, but I lost my attention due to unforeseen reasons. But after a few days, I am anxious about the possibility of using the same syringe. I am so disturbed and stressed thinking about contracting HIV this way. Please help me or suggest me as I am panicked and unable to focus on my daily routines. Should I need to undergo any testing as this happened before a few days?

#

Usually, all the laboratories have standard precautions and guidelines to follow. They will follow all precautions and use all sterile needles, etc. So the chances of transmission of HIV by these modes are almost nil now. Do not worry. Just go ahead with your normal routine. Forget the episode.

I have a few queries. After how many days of the incident, shall I undergo testing? Has anybody ever contracted this way? For how long does the virus remain active on the needle? It is becoming very tough to forget this. Kindly help.

#

These incidents used to happen in the olden days. Now all take extra precautions. So the chances are very less or almost nil.

You can go for HIV 1 and 2 RNA, PCR if you are still anxious. It will be more than 95% sensitive at this stage. Later you can go for an HIV antibodies test after three months of exposure for final conclusive results.

| 

The needle tip was touching bed sheet before TT injection. Can it cause any infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I have got a TT injection in deltoid of left arm today from a local hospital. After loading injection in casualty the nurse called to injection room, I sat there, nurse cleaned my arm with spirit. After cleaning, I noticed that the preloaded syringe with the needle was kept on the bed...  Read Full »

Protection broke during insertion and I pulled out. Can STDs be passed in this period?

Query: Hello doctor, I had protected intercourse with a CSW, but the protection broke at the tip during insertion and I immediately pulled out. Enough space was left at the tip for semen to collect and I do not know whether the tip of my penis has come in contact with some vaginal fluid. I am totally str...  Read Full »

What are the possible ways I can get an HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I would like to know what unprotected sex means. If I penetrate in a female's vagina without a condom but do not release any semen, will it be considered as unprotected sex? Also, can there be an HIV infection in such a case?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Community Medicine Physician Now