Q. Why do I feel swollen feet and numbness when they are not so?

Dr. Lokesh
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I am having issues with my feet. I feel that they are swollen and numb, but they are not swollen and also there is no discoloration. I do not have any chest pain, lightheadedness, dizziness, shortness of breath or any unusual pain and ache anywhere else. This usually happens while sitting down or lying down on the couch. It goes away when I stretch my toes out or walk. I play basketball twice a week. I am taking vitamins B12, C, E, potassium, garlic and fish oil on a daily basis. I have looked these symptoms up, but nothing matches completely with what is on the internet. I also have noticed a hard lump or knot in the middle or bottom towards my toes, where the numbness and swollen feeling starts. I think this might be something else. Please help.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• These symptoms suggest that you are having nerve pain. Nerve pain usually requires some special medications.
  • So, I suggest tablet Pregabalin 75 mg twice daily in the morning and at night for 30 days before food. Continue your B12 vitamin tablets for 30 days.
  • This is a nerve pain related to the hard swelling or the metatarsal head impinging on the small nerves of the foot.
  • To relieve the pressure on the small nerves of the foot, you need to use a silicon padded sole support or get a sole footwear specially made from an orthotist.
  • Silicon footwear and tablets for nerve pain will surely help you a great deal. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Stop your sports activities for the next 10 days.
  • You need to do some back exercises daily such as McKenzie back extension exercise, core strengthening exercise, glutei strengthening exercise and passive straight leg raising exercise.
  • These exercises can be done initially under a supervision of a physiotherapist and then learn to do it at home. Only regular exercise can give a result. Follow up after a month and let me know the progress.

Revert back after a month to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|