Q. I have a 4th nerve palsy issue and it scares me. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Manjunath Natarajan and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Do you have a question on Nerve Palsy or Eye Pressure? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 58-year-old cyclist. I recently started having a strange problem with my vision that started almost a month ago. It was also around the same time I was getting new glasses, but my optometrist said that he does not think the two are related. He referred me to see a neuro-ophthalmologist, and it looks like I have a 4th nerve palsy issue. After reading about it, it is familiar to my recent experiences.

No accidents, history of diabetes or other issues. It seems to be my right eye. Looking straight, left and up is fine. The problem comes when looking down (bifocals) or looking right. I also read that blood flow could be an issue. I have been using my inversion table lately more often. I do feel obvious pressure in my eyes using this. Is that an issue? It scares me now, so I put it in the garage. I read this can be idiopathic and can even go away in a few months. Is it true?