Q. My free thyroxine levels got slightly raised after COVID-19 infection. Is it normal?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 07, 2021

I had positive corona around 5 & half weeks ago and suffered symptoms of severe fatigue & high palpitations after checking my heart lungs etc bloods all is fine the only thing they have seen on my bloods is my free thyroxine levels are slightly raised I.e. 25 it was checked twice 2 weeks ago was also 25 and still have ongoing fatigue and occasional sudden heart palpitations. My GP wants to refer me to endocrinologist. I’m 29 years old no previous medical problems. I have blood test from year ago and at the time my thyroid level was fine. Im Male 29y 165cm 61KG I attached 2 reports 1) blood test results 2) my heart palpitations recoded on my Kardia app with Alivcor

#

Hello

I just read your query and the reports that you have attached. Yes the free thyroxine levels are slightly high but the normal TSH levels are reassuring and suggest that the viral infection was the likely reason behind it. It would definitely be worth repeating it again in 6 weeks time. However the tachycardia or the increased heart rate seem to be a cause for concern. It has been observed in some young male patients the cause for this to be the virus induced inflammation of the blood vessels of the body that could be one of the possible cause. It would be better if you were also referred to a cardiologist for further assessment. Hope you feel better soon.

Would it have shown the inflammation of blood vessels in the blood tests? How dangerous could it be?

#

Well it is not showing up on the tests. You need more advanced cardiovascular opinion to be able to comment on that.

|