Q. Should I worry about my nevus spilus turning cancerous?

Published on Nov 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I have speckled lentiginous nevi, also known as nevus spilus. I have had it since I was a baby. I do not know if it is congenital. Ever since I read online that they can transform dangerous, I do not feel comfortable in my own skin. I know the nevus spilus is alright right now. Its border has not changed at all. I am not worried about it right now. But, I am scared if it can happen in the future. Should I be worried? Some of my relatives have it too, but there is no family history of skin cancer. I know that if it changes in any way, I have to go for a skin biopsy. But, should I be worried about it is what I want to know.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have seen your query and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From your descriptions and given image, it does seem you have nevus spilus.

• There is nothing to worry about. The nevus spilus is present in 3 % of fair-skinned people.
  • It is a benign lesion that may develop more spotted elements over time. Once this lesion formed, it is presumed to persist throughout life.
  • Rarely, this nevus may be present at birth, and more commonly the lesion becomes evident during infancy or early childhood.
  • If you find a sudden increase in size, differential pigmentation, bleeding, irregular borders, etc., then you may go for a skin biopsy.
  • This one is least likely to shows these changes because malignant melanoma very rarely arises from these lesions.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I doubt this is a nevus, is it so?

Query: Hi doctor, When I go to sauna I do not have goggles on to protect my eyes. Then there is exposure to heat. I have attached my reports. I would like to know is it a nevus? Should I worry about it? I appreciate your answers. Thanks.  Read Full >>

Dr. Anand
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I checked your pictures (attachments removed to protect patient identity). I am not sure whether it is a nevus. I am more inclined to say that it is not a nevus. Unless I examine you directly, I cannot be sure. You can send better pictures, so that I can help you better....  Read Full

How to treat yellow color skin pigmentation caused by eating excess fennel seeds?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I ate lots of fennel seed. Due to which my skin becomes yellow and show extreme pigmentation of yellow color in sunlight.Please suggest me the treatment. Thanks.  Read Full >>

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. As you have mentioned that you ate a lot of fennel seeds a few months ago, then if it had any side effects, it should be at that time not after so many months. The yellow colored pigmentation you are currently talking about may be due low hem...  Read Full