Q. Should I worry about my nevus spilus turning cancerous?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I have speckled lentiginous nevi, also known as nevus spilus. I have had it since I was a baby. I do not know if it is congenital. Ever since I read online that they can transform dangerous, I do not feel comfortable in my own skin. I know the nevus spilus is alright right now. Its border has not changed at all. I am not worried about it right now. But, I am scared if it can happen in the future. Should I be worried? Some of my relatives have it too, but there is no family history of skin cancer. I know that if it changes in any way, I have to go for a skin biopsy. But, should I be worried about it is what I want to know.

#

I have seen your query and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From your descriptions and given image, it does seem you have nevus spilus.

• There is nothing to worry about. The nevus spilus is present in 3 % of fair-skinned people.
  • It is a benign lesion that may develop more spotted elements over time. Once this lesion formed, it is presumed to persist throughout life.
  • Rarely, this nevus may be present at birth, and more commonly the lesion becomes evident during infancy or early childhood.
  • If you find a sudden increase in size, differential pigmentation, bleeding, irregular borders, etc., then you may go for a skin biopsy.
  • This one is least likely to shows these changes because malignant melanoma very rarely arises from these lesions.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|