Q. The nevus on my lacrimal caruncle shows some difference. Is it melanoma?

Dr. Souhad
Published on Jun 12, 2019

I have a nevus on my lacrimal caruncle which has been there for almost 10 years. Recently I have noticed a slight change in it. Could it be melanoma?

Dr. Souhad

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I understand your concern, but I would not advise you to jump into any hasty conclusions. First of all, birthmarks, moles are very common even with the localization that you mentioned. However, to advise you better, it is preferable to compare this lesion on photos taken during these last few years as a marker, keeping in mind that humans undergo many changes as they age.

Second of all, it is more advisable to get digital images of this lesion captured by an optometrist or an ophthalmologist through a slit lamp and under magnification for better evaluation. Thirdly, if an ophthalmologist has confirmed your suspicion, a biopsy can be taken from it and sent to histopathology in the assessment at a cellular level, which will clear all doubts completely.

| 

Is removing the mole a dangerous procedure?

Dr. Souhad

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

The caruncle besides conjunctival tissue has hair follicles, sebaceous glands, sweat glands, and accessory lacrimal tissue so I would not advise you to excise it unless it is bothering you. The simple cosmetical surgery should only include excision of the pigmented tissues and not the whole caruncle, which is not out of the question and is directly related to the depth of the pigmentation. Other methods would be to use laser and burn off the pigmented layers which then would heal and should form a layer similar in color to the adjacent structures.

| 

My son has a small epidermal nevus. Should I worry about potential gene mutation?

Query: Hello doctor, You were wonderful in allaying some health anxiety over some skin issues several months ago. So, I thought I would consult with you on another question pertaining to my son. Unfortunately, a combination of my health anxiety and the big mistake of searching online has my mind imagining ...  Read Full »

How does a nevus look like?

Query: Hi doctor, When I go to sauna I do not have goggles on to protect my eyes. Then there is exposure to heat. I have attached my reports. I would like to know is it a nevus? Should I worry about it? I appreciate your answers. Thanks.  Read Full »

Does radiation therapy increase the risk of melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, 21 years ago, my friend had radiation therapy for a very small breast cancer. In the recent years, breast areola becomes dry. Biopsies revealed no cancer. She was followed closely by an oncologist and a dermatologist with number of tests. Recently, a mole appeared in the areola region. Th...  Read Full »