Q. My father has night blindness. How to keep his vision in good state?

Dr. Anand
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 18, 2020

My father has night blindness and his overall vision is very bad. He is taking some medication to keep his vision from degrading. He has been given advise to try Ocuvite lutein and I am not sure whether that is a good product for him. I am not aware of the side effects associated with it. I would like to know what we can do to keep his vision in a good state. Currently, he is taking some blood thinning products such as Aspirin. Please help.

#

• Night blindness at this age is very unlikely. This is mostly seen in children due to vitamin A deficiency.
  • First thing is we need to diagnose his condition. At this age night blindness can be due to to retinal problems like retinitis pigmentosa (genetic disorder in which retina loses its ability to respond to light).

I would like to have few details of him for a better diagnosis.

1. Is there any past medical problem such as diabetes or hypertension or eye surgery?
  2. Does any other family member suffer from eye problem?
  3. Is there any history of using high power glasses since childhood? 
  • Most of the time these problems are irreversible and treatment can only be given to halt the progression.
  • You can take vitamin A rich foods like carrots, papaya, green leafy vegetables, cod liver oil, sea foods, meat and milk.
  • Commercial products and tablets usually contains multiple vitamins and minerals.
  • You can continue to use same capsules Ocuvite lutein (vitamin and mineral supplement) and they do not cause any side effects.
  • You can try Cod liver oil capsules which contains rich vitamin A and Omega 3 fatty acids which are good for eye.
  • You can send pictures of your old records for more clear diagnosis and treatment.

Revert back with the pictures to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|