Q. My father has night blindness. How to keep his vision in good state?

Answered by
Dr. Anand
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 18, 2020

Hello doctor,

My father has night blindness and his overall vision is very bad. He is taking some medication to keep his vision from degrading. He has been given advise to try Ocuvite lutein and I am not sure whether that is a good product for him. I am not aware of the side effects associated with it. I would like to know what we can do to keep his vision in a good state. Currently, he is taking some blood thinning products such as Aspirin. Please help.

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Night blindness at this age is very unlikely. This is mostly seen in children due to vitamin A deficiency.
  • First thing is we need to diagnose his condition. At this age night blindness can be due to to retinal problems like retinitis pigmentosa (genetic disorder in which retina loses its ability to respond to light).

I would like to have few details of him for a better diagnosis.

  1. Is there any past medical problem such as diabetes or hypertension or eye surgery?
  2. Does any other family member suffer from eye problem?
  3. Is there any history of using high power glasses since childhood? 
  • Most of the time these problems are irreversible and treatment can only be given to halt the progression.
  • You can take vitamin A rich foods like carrots, papaya, green leafy vegetables, cod liver oil, sea foods, meat and milk.
  • Commercial products and tablets usually contains multiple vitamins and minerals.
  • You can continue to use same capsules Ocuvite lutein (vitamin and mineral supplement) and they do not cause any side effects.
  • You can try Cod liver oil capsules which contains rich vitamin A and Omega 3 fatty acids which are good for eye.
  • You can send pictures of your old records for more clear diagnosis and treatment.

Revert back with the pictures to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored video. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content/ad in the video.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can Spirulina 500 mg tablet replace body's vitamin B and folic acid requirements?

Query: Hi doctor, Can Spirulina 500 mg tablet be taken twice to replace the intake of 2.5 mg folic acid and vitamin B?  Read Full »

How to cope with exam failure?

Query: Hello doctor, I failed around five times in CA final exam. My next exam is in a month time. I have not studied yet because I am so much depressed and demotivated. I am scared of failing this time also. My future is dark. Mentally, I am very much stressed which leads to the symptoms of high blood ...  Read Full »

What can be done to reduce high vitamin B12 level?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking Vitamin B medication for over one year and my Vitamin B12 level is very high, greater than 2000. What should I do to reduce the level? I am 27 years female. Please advise.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.