Q. Post HIV exposure, I had rashes, diarrhea and now sinusitis. Have I contracted it?

Dr. Sushma Shah
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Within 24 hours of an exposure to HIV,  I had itchiness all over my body, especially around the inner thigh, knee, elbow, wrist, waist, and lower abdomen. I noticed a few pimple-like rashes around my inner thigh, probably due to scratching. But, my brother said that it looks like a scabies rash. I had read that scabies usually takes one or two weeks to show up symptoms. Is that right? However, it responded well to anti-scabies cream. At that time, I had no other symptoms except itchiness. Also, after two months, I had diarrhea one night, with vomiting, abdominal cramps, low-grade fever, and leg pain. These subsided within a day without any medications. Now, seven months after exposure I am having a cold and sinusitis. Is it HIV? I am attaching my reports for your consideration.

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• There is no chance that you have been infected by the HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), as all the tests have come back negative. Also, you have recovered well from your fever without a treatment, which would not be the case, if you were infected.
  • CD4 test is conclusive. No further tests are required. Do not waste money due to your anxiety. I recommend you divert your attention to other activities like music, gym, and outdoor games.
  • To enhance your immunity, I suggest the following:
  1. Have a high-protein and fibrous diet.
  2. Include citrus fruits like lemon, orange, and kiwi.
  3. Consume curd (yogurt) and buttermilk instead of milk.
  4. Take seven seas cod liver oil pearls, one capsule every night. It is very beneficial and does not have side-effects.
  • For the itching, I suggest the following:
  1. Take tablet Atarax (Hydroxyzine) 25 mg, at night for seven to ten days.
  2. Apply Betnesol-N (combination of Betamethasone and Neomycin) ointment in the morning after a bath.
  3. Apply Lacto calamine lotion at night for ten to 15 days.
  4. You can also try applying coconut oil with camphor cubes dissolved in them as and when required.
  • For stress, take tablet Propranolol 40 mg at night for 15 to 20 days.

Feel free to ask more queries. Take care.

For further queries consult an HIV/AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Does Itching Disturb Your Regular Activities?

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the diagnosis and management of severe itching. Read Article

Nowadays itching is a major problem or symptom of most of the allergic, systemic or fungal diseases. 4 out of 10 people have had some type of itching problem of the skin in their routine life. Severe itch also disturbs regular activities of daily living of mankind. What is Itching? Itching is de...  Read Article

Are body pain, headache and skin rashes symptoms of dengue?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 10 years old. For the past eight days, she has been suffering from body pain, headache, and some skin irritation. Her doctor said that it is pitta acidity. There is no improvement till date. Last year, during rainy season, she had some face and body irritation problem, whic...  Read Full »

My daughter has scabies, which did not subside with medication. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 20 months old and weighs 15 kg. She is a very active child. She was suffering from severe itching and rashes. The doctor diagnosed her with scabies. He prescribed HH mite cream for three days, and Atarax syrup 2.5 ml thrice a day. On the rash, he asked us to apply Flutivate...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now