Q. Noticed a few changes in my mouth. Are they suggestive of cancer?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

I just wanted to know if the attached pictures are suggestive of mouth cancer.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

I saw both the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• They are just normal features seen inside the mouth. The bluish black you see is a blood vessel and the whitish color of the cheeks is just keratinized epithelium.
  • So, do not worry and they are not a form of cancer. Thank you.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

I was referring to the red protrusion under the tongue. I am attaching another picture. Can you please see this?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

• I saw the red bulge (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but that too is just a normal growth, which is not at all related to cancer.
  • Did you have it for a very long time or you are seeing it for the past few days?
  • Do you have any pain related to it? Does your tongue burn when you try hot or spicy food?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

I have noticed it a week back. There is no pain. But, I am having intermittent jaw pain. I do not feel any burning sensation in the tongue.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

• There is no need to worry as it is just a swelling, which will go away in a week or two.
  • If it does not go away after three weeks or increases in size, then send a picture to me.
  • Intermittent jaw pain can be due to the eruption of wisdom tooth on both sides. Kindly check whether your teeth are coming out.

| 

I have an upper jaw pain and cannot close my mouth. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor,From my left front tooth, all the way to the back of my teeth on top hurt. I cannot close my mouth and it feels like the pain is going up into the bone under my nose. What could that possibly be?  Read Full »

How to cover wisdom tooth that grows after getting a retainer?

Query: Hello doctor, I wear Essix retainers at night after braces. Recently, I broke my two front teeth and had them bonded. I had to get new retainers and got them from the clinic but my new retainers do not cover my wisdom teeth. I have all 32 of my teeth. Is there a risk of my wisdom teeth hyper erupti...  Read Full »

Why am I having puffy face and throbbing jaw pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a cold for a week and it now feels like a toothache but it is not just one area, it is both top and bottom on the left side of the jaw and it is like radiating from my sinus. My face feels puffy and the pain is throbbing.  Read Full »