Q. Noticed a few changes in my mouth. Are they suggestive of cancer?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 22, 2020

I just wanted to know if the attached pictures are suggestive of mouth cancer.

#

I saw both the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• They are just normal features seen inside the mouth. The bluish black you see is a blood vessel and the whitish color of the cheeks is just keratinized epithelium.
  • So, do not worry and they are not a form of cancer. Thank you.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I was referring to the red protrusion under the tongue. I am attaching another picture. Can you please see this?

#

• I saw the red bulge (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but that too is just a normal growth, which is not at all related to cancer.
  • Did you have it for a very long time or you are seeing it for the past few days?
  • Do you have any pain related to it? Does your tongue burn when you try hot or spicy food?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I have noticed it a week back. There is no pain. But, I am having intermittent jaw pain. I do not feel any burning sensation in the tongue.

#

• There is no need to worry as it is just a swelling, which will go away in a week or two.
  • If it does not go away after three weeks or increases in size, then send a picture to me.
  • Intermittent jaw pain can be due to the eruption of wisdom tooth on both sides. Kindly check whether your teeth are coming out.

|