Q. My baby is failing to gain weight. Is it due to worms?

Dr. Rakesh Radheshyam Gupta
Published on Nov 01, 2017

I have a 7-month-old baby who is failing to gain weight and whose brother 5 years old has Ascaris worm and I believe flukes (still to confirm). The baby has been given Albendazole 2.5 ml one dose every five days and is not getting better. I would like to give it more often or maybe combine it with something else. Do you have recommendations as to what is safe to dose? And how often to eradicate this worm issue?

Dr. Rakesh Radheshyam Gupta

Child Health Paediatrics Pediatric Allergy/Asthma Specialist
#

• Worms are very rare in babies 7 months of age. There is no need to give Albendazole. His weight of 7.3 kg is normal. After 6 months of age, the weight gain process slows down. If your baby is active and has achieved milestones appropriate for his age, then there is no need to worry.
  • Also, look for GER (gastroesophageal reflux). If he vomits too much, this can cause poor weight gain.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

Please suggest home remedies for hot sensation in the anus.

Query: Hi doctor, What are some of the home remedies for burning sensation of the Anus? What is the reason for this burning sensation? It happens whenever I eat outside food. Though I did not eat more spicy food, why it is happening.  Read Full »

Can I give two doses of Albendazole to my 1.5-month-old baby in a short interval?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 1 year 5 month old now. He was treated with Albid suspension for worm before two months. Again he has same symptoms of worm infection now. What can I do? Is it safe to give him Albid or other medicine for worm within short interval of two months? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full »