Q. My baby is failing to gain weight. Is it due to worms?

Dr. Rakesh Radheshyam Gupta

I have a 7-month-old baby who is failing to gain weight and whose brother 5 years old has Ascaris worm and I believe flukes (still to confirm). The baby has been given Albendazole 2.5 ml one dose every five days and is not getting better. I would like to give it more often or maybe combine it with something else. Do you have recommendations as to what is safe to dose? And how often to eradicate this worm issue?

Dr. Rakesh Radheshyam Gupta

Child Health Paediatrics Pediatric Allergy/Asthma Specialist
#

• Worms are very rare in babies 7 months of age. There is no need to give Albendazole. His weight of 7.3 kg is normal. After 6 months of age, the weight gain process slows down. If your baby is active and has achieved milestones appropriate for his age, then there is no need to worry.
  • Also, look for GER (gastroesophageal reflux). If he vomits too much, this can cause poor weight gain.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|