Placenta is on the right lateral wall 0. 3 inch above the os. Is it low lying?

Q. Placenta is on the right lateral wall 0. 3 inch above the os. Is it low lying?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 22, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2023

I had NT scan at 12 weeks and 5 days in which was found placenta is on the right lateral wall, 0.3 inch above the os. Internal os is closed. Cervical length is 37 mm. Does this mean placenta is low lying? Is there a serious problem?

#

Yes, your scan indeed tells that you are having a low lying placenta. In such cases, chances of painless bleeding may be there. It would be better to avoid intercourse and heavy activities and to have a review of placental location in the anomaly scan at 19+ weeks. Almost 75 to 80 % of the times, the low lying placenta usually migrates to the upper uterine segment. So, the chances of bleeding come down by the term. So it is not something major to be worried about but yes the precautions are needed to be taken.

Take care.

|