Q. Kindly explain my NT scan and double marker blood test reports in detail.

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
Published on Dec 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2019

I am 12 weeks 5 days pregnant. I got my NT scan and double marker blood test results. NT value 1.1 mm, free b-hCG 1.52 MOM, PAPP-A 0.37 MOM, trisomy 21+NT risk 1:1132, trisomy 21 1:169, trisomy 13/18+NT. In urine culture, there is no significant growth observed after 48 hours. I am currently, All 9D in the morning, Ecosprin and Endogest SR 200 in the night.

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have seen the report completely (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your report is normal and there is no need to worry. If you want a detailed explanation about the report, then here you go. There are some genetic syndromes, which are happening worldwide in which baby can be seriously handicapped physically, body function wise or mentally. Now you cannot diagnose any genetic disease directly without baby cell as it contains DNA. But, the procedure (amniocentesis) for obtaining baby cell itself is very risky and can even lead to abortion and also more costly.

So, we are doing a screening test to diagnose the high risk pregnancies that have a high risk of getting that genetically abnormal baby. For that we combine different parameters and compare it with a standardized data to come to a ratio for chance of current pregnancy having that genetic abnormality. The test is negative and positive; according to either it is below the cutoff value or above. 1:250 meaning, 250 pregnancies like you having a chance of only 1 positive for that genetic abnormal baby.

So, as your report is good in which it is negative for Down's syndrome (trisomy 21) and also for 18 and 13 (Patau and Edward syndrome). So, your pregnancy is normal and no need to worry. You have to do only one thing and that is to follow normal medicines and precautions. One more thing I have seen in your report is that the cervical length is 3.0 cm. It is somewhat borderline at 12 weeks of pregnancy. For that you need to take proper rest. Just increase the duration of your rest time and continue Progesterone (Endogest 200) two or three times a day.

We are feeling a bit relaxed now. However, we need clarification on the PAPP-A value. As the value is low, our doctor has asked us to take Exhep 40 mg injection on alternate days. Is it mandatory to take this injection?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

#

According to me, Exhep (Enoxaparin) and PAPP-A (pregnancy-associated plasma protein A) value do not have any correlation.

• Ecosprin (Aspirin) and Exhep, both are to decrease the clotting tendency of blood, so that blood can easily circulate through the uterus to the baby and have a good growth.
  • But in view of complications, we advise it in patients who have previously had two to three or more abortions. Otherwise, you can continue Ecosprin and no need to start Exhep.
  • But as I said, I do not know the entire history and I gave my best clarification. There are also different treatment protocols in between different gynecologists. So, better ask your doctor about it.

But, I do not think there is any correlation between PAPP-A and Exhep. But, if you have a tendency of hypertension in pregnancy, then also we sometime start Exhep.

Will amniocentesis help to diagnose Down's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, A five month period of pregnancy has been completed for me. I had a screening test for Down's syndrome which came positive with a risk of 1:69. Should we need to do a diagnostic test which is amniocentesis? What will be the percentage after birth if the amniocentesis test is negative (It...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Usually, quadruple test is done at 16 to 18 weeks. Sensitivity at 19 weeks is doubtful. Amniocentesis is a good diagnostic test. It will be a confirmatory test, and you can be relieved ...  Read Full

Counseling for Newlyweds

Article Overview: Do not wait until you have a problem to seek marriage counseling. Counseling can help newlyweds with their communication skills, sexual relationship, and much more. Read Article

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Psychologist Counsellor

Most people enter the marriage life with unrealistic expectations of a dream life influenced by some popular songs and movies. But soon their dreams are shattered and their married life gets ruined before it takes off. Ideally, couples should seek premarital counseling before getting married. Howeve...  Read Article

In my 18th week of pregnancy, clubfoot was diagnosed. Should I undergo amniocentesis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am in my 18th week of pregnancy. The fetus has been diagnosed with clubfoot when I went for an anomaly scan on the 16th week. There is no other anomaly diagnosed so far. Please let me know if I have to undergo amniocentesis to rule out other associated anomalies. If I am not wrong, I ha...  Read Full >>

Dr. Jyoti Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Clubfoot (twisted foot) is not an uncommon anomaly and its prognosis is good. It means, it is correctable in most cases. Amniocentesis is an invasive procedure. If you have already undergone biochemical markers like a dual marker or triple test and they are negative, then...  Read Full