Q. I hurt my foot four days back, and now it turns dark purple or black when it is not grounded. Why?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 06, 2021

I am 14 years old and I hurt my foot four days back due to tumbling. I was doing a flip and landed in a pothole. My foot got hurt bad and I was able to ignore it. The next day, when I stepped down I got extreme pain and I still walked with it on that day. I went to urgent care after a day and the doctor told me that it was not broken and it was fine. But I was given an ace bandage wrap and I was on crutches. Yesterday, I noticed that when I keep my foot down during sitting in a chair or using crutches, my foot turned dark purple and my toes turned black. When I elevate it or without hanging it, the discoloration goes away. But today, my foot has fallen asleep more than ten times in an hour and I was not able to keep it awake. The color change is still occurring and it is cold to touch it. The other foot is warm. I am wondering whether it is normal for a sprain or should I need to look at it again.

#

You are having dysvascular changes as you have noticed the color returned back to normal when you kept the legs elevated. Foot going to sleep is a nerve pressure symptom and again regular changes in position will help it as the pressure from sitting on the bum can compress the nerves. If the changes in a position does not help you, then you can see a doctor and get examined. In the meantime, continue icing the sore area.

|