Q. Is my thigh numbness due to low blood circulation?

Dr. Lokesh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2020

I have numbness in my left thigh. I have attached the region in the photograph. The red area is high in numbness and has very less sense. Only a nail or scratch can feel there. Other, green areas have mild numbness. When I sit for a long time, it worsens without pain. Sometimes, I feel that this may be due to low blood circulation. Is this very serious? Can this be a pre-stage of sciatica or peripheral nerve problem? Can this be treatable? Please advise some medicine for this. I do not have any pain in the affected site. Also, the numbness feeling is only on the surface and not in depth.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• This either can be due to pain radiating from the spine or it can be meralgia paresthetica (pain or numbness in outer thigh due to external nerve compression). This leads to numbness over the anterolateral aspect of thigh as you have it (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • I suggest the following medicines to reduce this. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  1. Tablet Neugaba-M 75 mg (Pregabalin and Methylcobalamin) once at night for 15 days before food.
  2. Tablet Etoricoxib 60 mg in the morning and evening for 10 days after food.
  3. Tablet Rabeprazole 20 mg in the morning and evening for 10 days before food.
  4. Tablet Shelcal 500 mg in the morning and evening for 30 days before food.
  5. Tablet D-Shine 60k once daily for 10 days and then once a month for 11 months.
  • Take these tablets only if you are not allergic to them. Do not take these tablets if you are a known case of bronchial asthma.
  • These tablets will reduce the numbness you have.  Also, you need to avoid wearing tight pants at the waist, which may lead to this condition.

Meralgia paresthetica or radiculitis.

CBC (complete blood count) and serum vitamin B12 level.

Revert back with the investigation results to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

I do not have any pain radiating from the front of the thigh or from back. I will update you after completing the medicine course.

Dr. Lokesh

#

• So, it is likely to be meralgia paresthetica. Start the tablets and you will be fine.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

Instead of Neugaba-M, shall I take Nortipan-M? What would you suggest?

Dr. Lokesh

#

• Yes, Nortipan-M (Methylcobalamin, Nortriptyline and Pregabalin) will also do. But, this has a little more sedative effect. So, make sure you take this tablet at 7 PM every day and not later.
  • You will get some sedation for 1 or 2 days initially after starting this medicine, but the effect will not bother you after two days. So, continue taking the tablet for 15 days.

Meralgia paresthetica.

Revert back after 15 days to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

I will take care of sedation as I am habituated by Valproate sodium, Cipralex and Amitriptyline HCl for three years. All my blood tests are normal as they are checked as a preventive health checkup. Is there any other worrisome matter with Nortipan-M on body like cancer or kidney or liver related problem?

Dr. Lokesh

#

• No, 15 days is a too short time to have serious side effects. Some side effects are blurred vision, dysuria, pancreatitis and ataxia due to severe sedation.
  • But, it is a relatively safe drug. So, do not worry about taking it for 15 days.

|