Q. Why is there numbness along my fingertips?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 24, 2021

My thumb, index and ring fingers are all super numb at the fingertips. This numbness has lasted for five days, and now I am getting horrible sharp pains in my index finger. Previously, I have carpal tunnel syndrome.

#

• You have mentioned numbness in your hand finger tips, and the area mentioned appears to be that of median nerve region.
  • Now, if this pain and numbness are severe and persistent, then the advice to you is to get nerve conduction study done and look for severity of compression.
  • If compression is severe, then the initial trial of the brace can be given. But, if there is no improvement, then a small surgery in the form of Carpal tunnel decompression should be done.
  • Also, medication for neuropathic symptoms like Pregabalin or Gabapentin should be initiated along with Vitamin B12 supplementation as it acts as a neuro regenerator.
  • Also, can you also tell me whether you have any neck pain with pain radiating in upper limbs or any other vascular issue as clinical presentation can also be same in the condition?

Revert with the details to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|