Q. My pregnant wife is taking Nurokind-LC twice a day for leg cramps. Is it safe to take this dose?

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal
Published on Dec 13, 2019

My wife is 35 weeks pregnant. She is currently taking iron tablets twice a day (three weeks back she did Hb test, and it was 9 g/dL) and calcium tablets. She has occasional leg cramps, especially when waking up. Last week her gynecologist prescribed her Nurokind-LC twice a day for two weeks (she said leg cramps can occur during labor). As Nurokind-LC is class C, is it safe to take it in this dose? Can we take a reduced dose (one tablet for one week)? Please advise.

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

There is usually dilutional anemia at this stage of pregnancy and the requirement is much more. She has been prescribed Nurokind-LC tablet because of cramps in the legs as it is a neurovitamin and also for prophylaxis of megaloblastic anemia as it contains folic acid and methylcobalamin. You may take it once a day and in addition to that, I will advise you to improve diet containing iron and things that increase absorption of iron in the body.

For this, if your wife is a vegetarian then she should take jaggery instead of sugar and things made by that. Beetroot is a very rich source of iron for vegetarians taken as such or in some fruit juice. If non-vegetarian liver and chicken made at home are very good and baked fish for omega3 fatty acids.

Leg cramps can occur any time as such also and not only during labor. She should take plenty of fluids including coconut water which is a rich source of potassium and very helpful for preventing cramps. Keep moving her legs and feet and avoid long-standing or hanging feet. As she has already taken a double dose of iron tablets for three weeks you may repeat her Hb (hemoglobin) after another one week and see, or she can be given iv (intravenous) iron after consulting your doctor.

| 

Why does my leg pain even after walking short distances?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 40 years old and my leg pains while walking. Can I please know what is the reason behind this? This problem started nine years ago. But, now my leg pains after walking even 20 to 30 meters. I am currently on Thyroxine 50 mg. I have had a Doppler ultrasound. Please help.  Read Full »

Can I take Theanine capsules to reduce anxiety?

Query: Hi doctor, I have stress related problems as I have had very painful feet since I was a teenager. I have tried chiropractic, orthotics, acupuncture, reiki, cranial sacral therapy and all kinds of natural pain relievers, but nothing worked. I occasionally take Advil to reduce the pain. I have been ...  Read Full »

I am anemic even after taking iron supplements. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a history of anemia. I have been taking iron supplements prescribed by my doctor for the past few months. After a while, I had an appointment, and my doctor said that I am still very anemic. A few years ago, I had an eating problem. I was overeating, but I did not gain weight. Is t...  Read Full »