Q. Please suggest some medicines for the problems reported in my general checkup.

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 30, 2021

My health checkup report is enclosed. I feel little lethargic with sluggish mental activity. Please advice some medicines. I am already on Ecosprin 75 and Aztor 10.

#

• The probable reason for all your symptoms is obesity, leading fatty liver and some psychological issues. Do you drink or smoke? Do you have anxiety or depressive symptoms?
  • Regarding treatment, you can continue with current medicine. Although Ecosprin is necessary, Aztor (Atorvastatin) should be continued.
  • The most important thing you need is lifestyle modification. Your liver is swollen due to the accumulation of fat and is enlarged in size. It is grade II now and may progress to liver cirrhosis if not intervened. The treatment of this condition is weight loss.
  • You should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily and high-calorie diet. Have low salt diet and monitor blood pressure regularly. BP should not be persistently more than 140/90 mmHg.
  • Regular exercises like brisk walking and jogging for at least 30 minutes a day and five days a week. Lots of green leafy vegetables, fruits and fish once or twice a week, avoid meat. Avoid smoking and alcohol, sweetened beverages if any.
  • There should not be abdominal fat deposition or obesity. Weight loss is essential. Get your lipids repeated after two or three months. You can visit gastroenterologist once for your enlarged liver.
  • You should also be doing yoga and meditation, relaxation techniques like deep breathing, etc.
  • Rest of your reports including ECG are normal. Overall, there is no need to worry and just make necessary changes in lifestyle.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I smoke and have a complaint of anxiety and depression. Kindly suggest medication for the well being of my liver. My BP is always low in the range of 110/70 mmHg.

#

• At this stage, there is an accumulation of fat in the liver, but there is no liver damage being done, as evidenced by SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) and SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvate transaminase), which are normal. So, medicine for it is not needed.
  • However, the measures to remove the fat from the liver, which I suggested above, should be implemented seriously. Studies have shown that at this stage giving medicine has no benefit and may unnecessarily cause side effects.
  • A healthy lifestyle is the best possible option. However, you should get vaccinated for hepatitis B, hepatitis A and alcohol should be strictly avoided.
  • You should repeat your liver function test may be after six months to look for any damage. For your anxiety and depression, you can get tablet Escitalopram 10 mg at bedtime prescribed from your local doctor. This lethargy and sluggishness is also a part of this.

|