Q. How can itching be effectively and safely controlled during pregnancy?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
Published on Sep 07, 2018

My wife is 35 years old and is four months pregnant now. She is suffering from severe itching which is not responding to any medication. Her doctor advised to take Udiliv 150 and Cetirizine, but there is no relief. We changed the doctor, and this doc advised to take Udiplus 300, capsule Coetrie, and tablet Alivher. But, this also is not working. I suspect that it is a case of obstetric cholestasis. Kindly suggest an effective and safe remedy to control the itching. The laboratory tests performed were LFT, billirubin, and sonography.

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, it is obstetric cholestasis. During pregnancy, Udiliv (Ursodeoxycholic acid) 300 mg is the best and effective treatment for cholestasis. Your gynecologist has prescribed you proper medication. Also, apply some Calamine lotion to have a soothing effect on skin and prevent itching. However, if you do not find relief, then get her checked by an endocrinologist. Do get back to me with the reports after meeting the endocrinologist, so that I can guide you further.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I have understood that Udiliv 300 is the best remedy. What is the role of the other two medicines Coetrie and Alivher? Is it advisable to take these or discontinue?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Coetrie is a multivitamin supplement and Alivher (Sildenafil) is to improve blood circulation to the fetus. Both are safe and effective. So, relax and do not worry. You can continue taking the medication.

Is it normal to have high SGOT and SGPT levels, immediately after stopping Udiliv?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with high SGOT and SGPT levels and started medication (Udiliv) one year back. They levels dropped a month back, and the tests showed normal values. So, I stopped taking the medicines after the doctor's advice. Today when I did a blood test, SGOT and SGPT was 59 and 114. Is...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. SGOT and SGPT values do not rise immediately after stopping Udiliv (Ursodeoxycholic acid) usually. You need further evaluation like fibroscan, to find out rare causes of liver enzyme elevation. Revert with more information to a medical gastroenterologist online --> ...  Read Full

I am experiencing water-like discharge in my first trimester. Is this normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on the last day of my first trimester and I was experiencing water-like discharge yesterday as if I am about to start periods. I had intercourse five to six days before this. Is this normal during this phase of pregnancy? I am experiencing an itching on my outer labia and the skin...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? From the short history, I feel this is a vaginal infection. You should have got it from that act of sex a few days ago. As a prevention, I would advise you not to have penetrative sex until the end of pregnancy. Infection from sex can also trigger a...  Read Full