Q. How can itching be effectively and safely controlled during pregnancy?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

My wife is 35 years old and is four months pregnant now. She is suffering from severe itching which is not responding to any medication. Her doctor advised to take Udiliv 150 and Cetirizine, but there is no relief. We changed the doctor, and this doc advised to take Udiplus 300, capsule Coetrie, and tablet Alivher. But, this also is not working. I suspect that it is a case of obstetric cholestasis. Kindly suggest an effective and safe remedy to control the itching. The laboratory tests performed were LFT, billirubin, and sonography.

#

I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, it is obstetric cholestasis. During pregnancy, Udiliv (Ursodeoxycholic acid) 300 mg is the best and effective treatment for cholestasis. Your gynecologist has prescribed you proper medication. Also, apply some Calamine lotion to have a soothing effect on skin and prevent itching. However, if you do not find relief, then get her checked by an endocrinologist. Do get back to me with the reports after meeting the endocrinologist, so that I can guide you further.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I have understood that Udiliv 300 is the best remedy. What is the role of the other two medicines Coetrie and Alivher? Is it advisable to take these or discontinue?

#

Coetrie is a multivitamin supplement and Alivher (Sildenafil) is to improve blood circulation to the fetus. Both are safe and effective. So, relax and do not worry. You can continue taking the medication.

|