Q. How to confirm that I am not impotent?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 18, 2021

I am having OCD, stress, anxiety and anorexia issues for the last 15 years. I am taking Nexito 20 mg and Lonazep 0.5 mg as per psychiatrist advice. My sexual desires were always good. I am doing masturbation for the last 22 years and also had intercourse with my girlfriend two to three times. But now, one of my doctors gave me some OCD medicines because of that my sexual desire is less. Earlier, I masturbate daily but now once in a week. I am going to get married in a few months. So, I am little bit scared to think whether I am impotent? But I think that I am not as sometime I used to masturbate two times in a day. My psychiatrist also says that I am perfect. Is this due to the effect of OCD medicine? So I just want to double confirm, that I am not impotent and I can satisfy my partner. One more thing is doctor gave me Benfomega for this in which Benfotiamine 150 mg, Inositol 75 mg, Alpha-lipoic acid 50 mg, Omega-3 fatty acid 500 mg, Methylcobalamin 1500 mg, etc. Please give advice.

#

• You are not impotent. You were fine with Nexito (Escitalopram) and Lonazep (Clonazepam).
  • But, after taking new OCD medicines your problem started. You will be alright once you stop the new one. So, continue Nexito and Lonazep.
  • Benfomega is a nutrient and as such no harm. Please relax, you are not impotent and your anxiety is the main problem.

For further information consult a sexologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Thank you for your great advice. Do I need any sex related medical test? Will I be able to satisfy my partner after marriage as my ejaculation is only two minutes maximum? The culprit medicine was Fluoxetine hydrochloride 20 mg which I took for 25 days with Nexito plus 10 mg and I stopped it four months ago. I did not do masturbation till 20 days after taking this medicine and so I thought I became impotent. The thought became powerful in my mind when I got a marriage proposal and that girl was a divorcee due to her impotent husband. This thought ruined me. I am taking antidepressant medicine for the last 15 years. Do I need to tell about this medicine and illness to my future partner? Am I impotent? Do I need to consult a sexologist? I would be more thankful to you for clearing my doubts.

#

• Though your problem appears to be drug induced, still you can do some blood tests such as Hb (hemoglobin), TC (total count), DC (differential count), fasting blood sugar, prolactin, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and testosterone to be sure.
  • You can inform your future partner but it depends on how she takes it.
  • In modern medicine, there is no term as impotent; it is replaced by erectile dysfunction which is treatable.
  • In present era no girl should take divorce because husband is supposedly impotency, there are enough treatments available. But, if the girl has unrealistic expectations or is misinformed or is non-cooperative then problem can arise. So, it depends on your partner’s behavior.
  • You can go to a good sexologist. The more you read articles or blogs more confused you will be.

For further queries consult a sexologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Once again thanks for your explanation. I still have some doubts. Before using Fluoxetine my libido was very great. I informed the physician, that I do not have any appetite for last so many years, I eat less, have a lot of libido and I am doing masturbate regularly. So, he gave me Fluoxetine 20 mg and Nexito Forte Plus 10 mg. After using these combination of medicines I did not do masturbate for 25 days. And then I suddenly stopped that medicines and went to psychiatrist and he gave me above 3 medicines. So, I am confused now whether I should marry or not. My age is 36 years. So I have lot of pressure from around to get married soon. There many testing in testosterone, which should I get. Do you think, really I need these tests? My food intake is very low and sometimes even I do not eat one meal in a day and stay on some four to five cups of tea and some two to three pieces of bread.

#

• It is clear that your problem started after taking these medicines, so stopping the medicines should help you.
  • Regarding marriage, I have said before if the girl has unrealistic expectations or is misinformed or is non-cooperative then problem can arise. So, it depends on your partner’s behavior.
  • The tests are to exclude physical cause if any. This is minimum requirement, regarding testosterone you can do free and total testosterone.
  • You have to increase your food intake. Low appetite if happened after medicines intake, then can be due to the side effects.

For further queries consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Please find the attached report as per your suggestion and give advice. Now please tell me whether I need to go more tests or not. Should I go for marry without any tension? If you add anything else you want in this issue then I will be very grateful to you. Thanks.

#

• Your reports are fine. These are the usual reports that I ask to do. If any of these are abnormal then only I ask further tests.
  • As I said before your marriage decision depends on your partner’s behavior and not on your reports, which are normal. From my side nothing more is to add.

For further doubts consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Once again I am here to ask some confusion. I am having androgenic alopecia and I am losing hair constantly and going bald. My middle scalp and front part has lost max of hairs. Doctor (dermatologists) advised me to take Hair4U 5% (Minoxidil 5%+ Aminexil) for two month and asked to continue till 1-2 years to regrow hair. Last year 2014, I used the same medicine for one month and stopped because I read some articles on internet and was told by some friends that Minoxidil can cause low sex drive or even impotence. So, I am little bit worried about this. I do not want to take any risk to lose my libido. So, please guide me. I heard it works on testosterone hormone as DHT.

#

I have read and understood your problem.

• Side effects other than on scalp are uncommon since very little Minoxidil or Aminexil is absorbed after topical application. And, it is a vasodilator only, having no effect on testosterone.
  • Another drug used to treat androgenic alopecia is Finasteride and this reduces DHT (dihydrotestosterone) causing impotence.
  • I think you are confusing Minoxidil with Finasteride. Take Folic acid and multivitamins for hair loss and it can be due to stress also. So, you should do exercise at home to reduce stress and never take any nutritional supplement usually given at gyms.

For further information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Shall I use this medicine Minoxidil 5%? Yes, I agree that Finasteride create some ED issues and dermatologists also said this and did not recommend to me. Is there any other side effect from Minoxidil as chest heaviness and heart attack, etc?

#

• Yes, there may be other side effects such as chest discomfort, some problem with heart congestion (it is different from heart attack), allergy, local irritation of scalp, etc.
  • But, there is no issue with erection. Actually two decades back many people used it as a treatment for erectile dysfunction.

|