Q. Can I become addicted to sex from taking Vitamin E and Olanzapine for over three years?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2021

Can I become sexually addicted due to Vitamin E 1000 IU taken along with Olanzapine 15 mg for three years due to my second episode of schizophrenia? I masturbate daily though I am not having any physical sex. I want to know whether it is possible to reduce the dosage of these drugs. Is it possible for me to have a withdrawal from these drugs? I entered remission before three years and I am trying to taper off these antipsychotics under the guidance of my psychiatrist. I got fully recovered from positive and negative symptoms. It makes me curious to stop using these drugs. Please suggest.

#

No, you will not become sexually addicted to any of these drugs. You can do masturbation once a day and it is a normal frequency. You should try to taper off your medication as you are stable on it for more than three years. You are taking Olanzapine 15 mg and you are stable now. Then, you can taper it by taking tablet Olanzapine 10 mg for the next six months and watch for the symptoms of schizophrenia. If you do not have any relapse on tapering Olanzapine, then you can try to taper off further to 5 mg. You should take it for another six months on the same dose. If you do not have any relapse, then you can stop taking medication in the future. Otherwise, you have to take the medication for a lifetime.

|