Q. I do not ovulate on a specific day of my cycle like other women. How to plan a pregnancy?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My clear blue ovulation test said I was at peak the day of my period starting. My periods are somewhat regular at the moment, except this one coming earlier. I do not think I ovulate like a normal woman on a certain cycle day. I am just not sure what to do or what day to try to conceive. I have been trying for six months; I have poly ovaries and high estrogen, with more eggs than normal women. I have been told that I can get pregnant alone. I have also got Crohn's disease and have not taken medication for anything. I do not trust my ovulation tests right now, and I am at an all-time low.

#

If you are at the peak of the day, your period started, then the test is wrong. Your periods are regular, so most of the time, you are ovulating. An occasional cycle may be erratic; it is quite common. You should check blood sugar PP (postprandial), TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), prolactin, and testosterone. Depending on the reports, treatment is decided. I hope your PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease) is diagnosed by ultrasound. Though ovulation tracking is good for conception yet, you can conceive any day of the cycle. If your cycles are fairly regular, then you can deduct 17 days from your shortest cycle length and have sex starting two days before that for a week. For example, if your shortest cycle length is 29 days, then 29-17= 12, start sex on day 10 for a week. You can also check by ultrasound Folliculometry.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

The days in between my menstrual cycle change frequently, so hard to know when I ovulate. And sometimes it can be 14 days since my last period.

#

Yes, it is because you might have a hormonal imbalance, for which I have suggested you do the hormones tests. After which treatment will regularise your periods. Another option is to take cyclical oral contraceptive pills to get bleeding regularly for three months; you will not conceive your cycles will become more regular. Another option is to take Clomid (Clomifene) from the third to the seventh day of the period. And Duphaston (Dydrogesterone) or Progesterone from day 16 to 25 th of the cycle. This way, your period will be regular and will have the possibility of conceiving from day 9 to 15 of the cycle. Remember, conception occurs if you have sex for five days before and on the day of ovulation and not after that.

Thanks for your reply,

Can you tell me the dosage of Clomid and Progesterone?

#

1. Tablet Clomid 50 mg once daily at night for five days from day 3 to 7 of menstruation.

2. Tablet Duphaston 10 mg once daily at night for ten days from day 16 to 25 of menstruation.

Both to be repeated for three cycles. Consult a local doctor, get a prescription, and then start the medication.

Hb (hemoglobin), TC (total count), DC (differential count), sugar PP, TSH, prolactin, and Testosterone.

Oligomenorrhea.

Clomid and Duphaston.

Thanks for your reply.

It all sounds great, but the pharmacy in my country will only give it to me if it is in script form and signed. I am hoping that you can send that to me.

#

I am sorry, but I cannot issue a prescription for overseas patients. I can suggest the medicines, but you have to consult a local doctor for medicines and prescriptions.

Thank you for your reply.

#

You should be healthy without any disease and with normal blood pressure. If you have any other medical problem, consult a relevant doctor. It would help if you did not take alcohol with medicines and also avoid driving at night. In case of an emergency, you should go to a hospital.

| 

Delayed Periods: When to Suspect Pregnancy?

Article Overview: This article discusses the possibility of unintended pregnancies in young sexually active women and suggests some hints on timing the intercourse to minimize the risk of unplanned pregnancies, and consequently their adverse effects on the female reproductive health. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

Being sexually active brings pleasure along with its own set of risks, unwanted pregnancies being one of them. A delayed period could be a sign you are pregnant, but not always. Periods can be late due to various other factors such as stress, illness, exhaustion, contraceptive pills, obesity, thyroi...  Read Article

Why is my bleeding abnormal after a month of no periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I did not get my period last month, but on the first of this month, I got spots, and on the second day, I had a heavy flow. Again on the third day, it was a light flow, and on the fourth day, it was only spotting.  Read Full »

Is it advisable to take Kalarchikai along with Letroz to conceive?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old. I never had an irregular period from the age of 14, but in the past eight months I am trying to conceive and nothing happened. I have PCOS in the left ovary alone. My period is irregular and my gynecologist suggests to do a follicular study from day 12 provided wit...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now