Q. Am I infertile as I have oligospermia or can it be treated?

Answered by
Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 07, 2022

Hi doctor,

I am in my mid-thirties and I had an undescended testis when I was young. I was supposed to go for surgery at ten years of age, but then my mom had forgotten, and so now my left testicle is normal and the right one is a bit small.

My body height is 6' 1" (185.42 cm) and my body weight is 219 lbs (99.34 kg).

I went for a semen analysis and my results showed a low sperm count of 6.2 million sperm per mL, low sperm motility rate of 33%, progressive movement of 32%.

I also had a test for FSH and prolactin levels. The FSH levels are 15.9 IU/mL and the prolactin levels are 101.53 ng/mL.

I want to know if there is a cure for this problem or does it mean that I am infertile?

I had consulted another doctor on this platform and he had told me that I have oligospermia with almost normal FSH levels, which means that my testicular function is not bad. My prolactin levels are also normal.

He had further advised me to get the testosterone levels checked and to go for a scrotal ultrasound.

I got the scrotal ultrasound results but I am waiting for the testosterone test results.

Please advise what steps should Itake next?

Is it curable or am I infertile?



Welcome to

It is great to see that you have got the ultrasound done.

You have a varicocele on the left testis which is reversible and is a cause for oligospermia ( low sperm counts).

You will need to follow up with testosterone levels as well, in order for me to organize a proper management plan for you.

I hope you will be doing great after the treatment.

Kind regards.

Hi doctor,

Please find the attached test results for testosterone & FSH.



Welcome back to

Your report says that your hormones are normal and the only obvious cause left is varicocele.

Varicocele ligation is required.

You can meet the urologist in your area to discuss the options available for ligation. There is no medical treatment to reverse the varicocele.

Kind regards.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Which procedure should I undergo to increase sperm count?

Firstly, get a varicocelectomy (surgical treatment for male infertility) done and check for any rise in the sperm count ... Some of the factors to be taken into consideration are the period of infertility, the sperm motility and the grade of varicoce...   Read full

My testicles are saggy and painful and I ejaculate very soon. Kindly help.

Mild left testicular pain, oligospermia, and infertility are related to varicocele, which is a dilatation of veins around your testis ...   Read full

Can varicocele cause infertility?

.. insignificant varicocele and that will not affect fertility. Your testicle size is normal. Testosterone level is low normal. Penis size of more than 3.5 inches is normal. For fat in the lower body and for low testosterone you need to do the follow...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.