Q. Am I infertile as I have oligospermia or can it be treated?

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

I am in my mid-thirties and I had an undescended testis when I was young. I was supposed to go for surgery at ten years of age, but then my mom had forgotten, and so now my left testicle is normal and the right one is a bit small.

My body height is 6' 1" (185.42 cm) and my body weight is 219 lbs (99.34 kg).

I went for a semen analysis and my results showed a low sperm count of 6.2 million sperm per mL, low sperm motility rate of 33%, progressive movement of 32%.

I also had a test for FSH and prolactin levels. The FSH levels are 15.9 IU/mL and the prolactin levels are 101.53 ng/mL.

I want to know if there is a cure for this problem or does it mean that I am infertile?

I had consulted another doctor on this platform and he had told me that I have oligospermia with almost normal FSH levels, which means that my testicular function is not bad. My prolactin levels are also normal.

He had further advised me to get the testosterone levels checked and to go for a scrotal ultrasound.

I got the scrotal ultrasound results but I am waiting for the testosterone test results.

Please advise what steps should Itake next?

Is it curable or am I infertile?

#

It is great to see that you have got the ultrasound done.

You have a varicocele on the left testis which is reversible and is a cause for oligospermia ( low sperm counts).

You will need to follow up with testosterone levels as well, in order for me to organize a proper management plan for you.

I hope you will be doing great after the treatment.

Kind regards.

Please find the attached test results for testosterone & FSH.

#

Your report says that your hormones are normal and the only obvious cause left is varicocele.

Varicocele ligation is required.

You can meet the urologist in your area to discuss the options available for ligation. There is no medical treatment to reverse the varicocele.

Kind regards.

|