Q. Which procedure should I undergo to increase sperm count?

Dr. Gopinath
Published on Jan 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 18, 2019

My sperm count is low; it has dropped from 18 million to 3 million within a period of five months time. I have been diagnosed with bilateral varicocele. I have consulted three urologists. The first doctor advised me to go for ART (artificial reproductive technology) second one prescribed medicine to boost my sperm count and motility and the third one advised to get the varicocele corrected by surgery. According to him, surgical correction will certainly increase the sperm count. In case it does not work, then he asked me to go with ART. Please suggest, as to which one I should opt for? Thank you in advance.

Dr. Gopinath

Urology
#

After going through your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I am aware that you are suffering from severe oligozoospermia (oligospermia).

After four days of abstinence, please repeat the semen analysis. Even after repeating the tests, if the sperm count does not change, then I would suggest you go with either of these options.

1. Firstly, get a varicocelectomy (surgical treatment for male infertility) done and check for any rise in the sperm count. More severe the oligospermia fewer chances of rising in sperm count.
  2. The second option I would suggest is to go for IVF (in vitro fertilization).

In severe cases of oligospermia, medicine will not help. Some of the factors to be taken into consideration are the period of infertility, the sperm motility and the grade of varicocele.

Can you interpret my semen analysis reports in layman terms?

Query: Hello doctor,Good day. My wife and I are trying to conceive and one of the tests done was a semen analysis test for me. I picked the results up from the lab, but I would not be able to see my doctor till a couple of days because of work. I am anxious and I would love an interpretation. I have attach...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) suggests that it has normal liquefaction time, total sperm count is in the normal range and active mobile is low, volume adequate, and normal morphology is low and also has puss cell which indicates...  Read Full

I like to masturbate, but not sex. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old. I have been married for 3.5 years now. I hardly feel to have sex with my wife. Sometimes, the gap will be more than a month. I masturbate almost on a daily basis and sometimes, twice or thrice in a day after watching porn. I am somehow addicted to it and not able to st...  Read Full >>

Dr. Pankaj Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems that you have a normal sexual drive as you masturbate on a daily basis, which is also a form of sexual activity. Masturbation is not an addiction. It is a normal phenomenon. It does not affect our physical, mental and sexual health. It is totally natural and nor...  Read Full

How to maintain sperm count through treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. I am taking HCG 5000 and HMG 150 injection twice a week. My sperm production has started from azoospermia. We have done IVF and it was successful. My doctor asked to take testosterone injection, but if I take this my sperm production will...  Read Full >>

Dr. Deep Dutta
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) and HMG (human menopausal gonadotropin) are excellent choices to ensure a good sperm production, which is needed for fertility that you have achieved. However, this treatment combination rarely leads to normal testosterone levels, w...  Read Full