Common "Varicocele" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


The enlarged vein in the scrotum is called varicocele and is the leading cause of low sperm quality and infertility. It can cause atrophy of the affected testes.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have low sperm count. Can varicocelectomy be helpful?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed with bilateral varicocele grade II and III. My urologist recommended microscopic varicocelectomy after reviewing my test results. I am 32 years old and all of my blood test results, including hormones were in the normal range. However, my semen analysis showed that t...  Read Full »

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair Bhaskaran

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your semen concentration is very much within normal limits. You have not mentioned the morphology and motility in detail. As far as I know microsurgical varicocelectomy should be done only when two parameters are affected. Either the count and motility are low or count an...  Read Full »

I have difficulty while getting a full erection. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been masturbating at least once every day for a while now, and recently, I have been having difficulty getting a full erection or maintaining it throughout the duration of intercourse with my partner. Are these correlated? Can this be due to repeated masturbation without letting...  Read Full »

Dr. Raveendran S R

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. According to your complaints, you may be suffering from erectile dysfunction (ED). The reasons for erectile dysfunction (ED) can be: 1 Stress due to work or family-related, night duties – plan for regular exercise and yoga. 2 Depr...  Read Full »

I have a dragging pain in my scrotum. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 32-year-old male. I had a scrotal USG for three months. It said that I have a varicocele of grade 1 with a pampiniform vein size of 2-3 mm. When I consulted a doctor, he prescribed some medicine, and I had it. But, the dragging pain persists. Yesterday, again I had a USG of the scro...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to From your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the first radiologist found a mild form of varicocele and the second radiologist gave it as normal. If your pampiniform plexus measures 2-3 mm and with mild reflux, then it is borderline and the second ...  Read Full »

There is pain on the right side of my scrotum. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, For about two weeks, I have a slight discomfort on the right side of my scrotum when the testicles are retracted. It is an uncomfortable pain. When the testicles are warmer and the scrotum is down, I feel no pain at all. I am currently on Zyrtec. I have done a self-examination and the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Khant Shahil Ramesh Bhai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It could be a muscle pain or varicocele. So, relax and do not worry at all. Ask your primary care doctor to have an ultrasound of the scrotum done with a color Doppler. The final diagnosis can be had only after the ultrasound report has arrived. Regards.  Read Full »

What can be done for erectile dysfunction with grade 1 varicocele?

Query: Hi doctor,My T hormone is 157 dl and prolactin is 22. My sperm is 28 million and normal morphology. The scan showed normal testis size but grade l varicocele both sides but I have erection dysfunction and no sensation in my penis.  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your serum testosterone levels are on the lower side. But the semen analysis is good. So do not take hormone replacement now. If you take testosterone supplementation, chances of decreased sperm count are there. Grade one varicocele does not require treatment unless it ...  Read Full »

Why do I have scrotal pain after biking or sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33 year old married man, and I was hit by a cricket ball on my scrotum while playing cricket two years ago. I consulted a doctor, and he told me that there is nothing to worry after seeing no swelling. The sensitive pain lasted for 10 days, after which it vanished. But after few...  Read Full »

Dr. Khant Shahil Ramesh Bhai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You do not have any physical problems, as your ultrasound scrotum is normal. You have idiopathic testicular pain. It happens after heavy gym exercise or in your case cycling. There ar...  Read Full »

I have low testosterone. Can varicocele correction help?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 34 years old. My height is 5'11' and weight is 90 kg. I have been facing erectile dysfunction for the past three years. I visited an andrologist and he did various tests. All are good except that my testosterone levels are low. My doctor suggested that it should be due to varicocele....  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I do not think erectile dysfunction is caused by mild varicocele. In case, if it was moderate to high grade of varicocele, then we can expect a reversal of the problem on the correction of varicocele. Regarding low testosterone, varicose could be the reason. It is possib...  Read Full »

After using a penis pump, my testes are painfully red. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a strange feeling in my left testicle. I ordered a vacuum penile pump, and I used it only for two days. After that, I threw it away fearing an injury, as it turned my urine red. After five days, I went to a doctor, because I had a strange feeling in my testes, but I did not have pa...  Read Full »

Dr. Srivastava, Sumit

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for your query. I have seen the attached ultrasound (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your ultrasound suggests that you have varicocele, which is the cause of pain and discomfort and other symptoms in your testes and base of the penis. In varicocele...  Read Full »

I am not getting a morning erection for two weeks. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32-year-old, unmarried male. I am not getting a morning erection for two weeks. Please help.Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Raveendran S R

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. According to your complaints, it can be due to the following reasons: 1 Stress due to work or family-related, night duties – plan for regular exercise and yoga. 2 Depression. 3 Varicocele – ultrasound scrotum can help in diagnosin...  Read Full »

Is my small right testicle treatable in the mid-thirties?

Query: Hi doctor,I am in my mid-thirties and I had an undescended testis when I was young. I was supposed to go for surgery at ten years of age, but then my mom had forgotten, and so now my left testicle is normal and the right one is a bit small. My body height is 6.1 inches and my body weight is 219 poun...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to It is great to see that you have got the ultrasound done. You have a varicocele on the left testis which is reversible and is a cause for oligospermia ( low sperm counts). You will need to follow up with testosterone levels as well, in order for me to organize a proper ma...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.