Q. After removal of braces for open bite, I failed with removable retainers. Can I get permanent retainer?

Dr. Disha Kandi Jain

Should I get a permanent retainer months after braces and use of a removable retainer? Part of my overbite has returned since I got my braces off due to tongue thrusting. Partly because I never wore my retainers as much as I should have. Can I get a permanent retainer at this point? Or is it too late?

Dr. Disha Kandi Jain

Dentistry Naturopathy Orthodontist
#

First of all, you should wear your retainer regularly. Ideal position of teeth or occlusion which is obtained with the help of orthodontic treatment is maintained by regular use of orthodontic retainer. Use of orthodontic retainer is equally important and is part of orthodontic treatment. You can read about orthodontic retainer from icliniq articles.

As per your description, you have tongue thrust, so it should be corrected otherwise it will be a cause of relapse after successful orthodontic treatment. You can read about tongue thrust from icliniq articles.

As you have stated that your bite has relapsed, so if you use permanent retainer then it will retain faulty occlusion. This is what you can see about changes. But as the bite has relapsed, definitely there must have some other changes or movement of teeth happened (you have not uploaded any image of your concern area), that you cannot see but being expert in that field we can see.

So for any kind of second opinion one has to check clinically or at least have an image of your concern area. So kindly upload an image of your concern area or teeth for appropriate treatment planning.

| 
1 out of 1 likes

Invisible Aligners for a Perfect Smile

Article Overview: Custom made invisible aligners are orthodontic devices that are a transparent plastic form of dental braces used to adjust or move the teeth, which encourages even adults to have a "Perfect Smile." Read Article

Everyone's dream is to have a great smile, but they get stuck where to start from. Many people are experiencing success using clear orthodontic devices called "Aligners." Orthodontic braces encourage teeth to move using brackets connected with wires. Aligners are a series of custom-made tight fitt...  Read Article

I have large buck teeth and triangular gap between rows. Do I need braces?

Query: Hello doctor, So, I have an overbite and I would probably say it is pretty bad. My teeth are not that bad, but I do have large buck teeth. My two front teeth are angled on the outsides and that creates a triangle shape gap in between my top and bottom teeth. I was wondering with the information p...  Read Full »

I am wearing braces for open bite. What is the recommended elastic position for it?

Query: Hello doctor,At the moment, I have been wearing braces for roughly 2.5 years. I have an open bite on my left side that starts from the lateral incisor. I have been wearing my rubber bands as instructed. My appointment is until four weeks from now. Even though I should see my dentist for this, what i...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthodontist Now