Q. After removal of braces for open bite, I failed with removable retainers. Can I get permanent retainer?

Dr. Disha Kandi Jain

Should I get a permanent retainer months after braces and use of a removable retainer? Part of my overbite has returned since I got my braces off due to tongue thrusting. Partly because I never wore my retainers as much as I should have. Can I get a permanent retainer at this point? Or is it too late?

#

First of all, you should wear your retainer regularly. Ideal position of teeth or occlusion which is obtained with the help of orthodontic treatment is maintained by regular use of orthodontic retainer. Use of orthodontic retainer is equally important and is part of orthodontic treatment. You can read about orthodontic retainer from icliniq articles.

As per your description, you have tongue thrust, so it should be corrected otherwise it will be a cause of relapse after successful orthodontic treatment. You can read about tongue thrust from icliniq articles.

As you have stated that your bite has relapsed, so if you use permanent retainer then it will retain faulty occlusion. This is what you can see about changes. But as the bite has relapsed, definitely there must have some other changes or movement of teeth happened (you have not uploaded any image of your concern area), that you cannot see but being expert in that field we can see.

So for any kind of second opinion one has to check clinically or at least have an image of your concern area. So kindly upload an image of your concern area or teeth for appropriate treatment planning.

| 
1 out of 1 likes