Q. For my open bite, do I need braces or surgery?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Feb 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

I have a quite wide open bite. I am 24 years old and want to get them fixed with braces. The open bite is so big that I can thrust a pencil in my mouth with my teeth closed. I have attached a photo for your reference. Will it require surgery or can it be fixed with braces? How long will it take to fix them?

#

I have seen the picture you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The open bite can be corrected effectively with braces treatment. Surgery would not be a choice for this type of bite correction.
  • The braces treatment will take approximately one year to get completed and after which you will be provided with a custom designed removable retainer clips to be worn for six to nine months.
  • Also, you might have to get your fourth or fifth teeth from the centre (first or second premolars) removed in order to gain space while aligning the teeth.
  • Please consult your orthodontist (braces specialist) for an elaborate treatment plan. Overall, my personal advice would be that go for the braces option because it is worth the wait as it will give you the best result in the long run.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

If I get braces for deep bite, will it affect my face profile?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 1 to 2 mm deep bite, which is mild. If I get braces and my wisdom teeth out, then my lower facial profile will improve. Will it change my face from round to something else? My jawline looks very awkward. My jawline almost slants before it hits the actual change of direction point...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The facial shape will never change now from ovoid to some other. The main problem with your jaw is that they are constricted (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It means V-shape especially the lower one, which has caused this anomaly. Your mandible is def...  Read Full

Will removing wisdom tooth create space for crowded teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have high canine teeth due to crowding in my upper jaw. Visually, it appears that space, where my canines should be, is too small for them. However, when I went to an orthodontist, she said that I would need to get my first premolars removed to make room. If I get my wisdom teeth out...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Generally, when space is less for the number and size of teeth present in the jaw, it is advised to remove premolar on each side in one or both the jaws. The reason being, it is more convenient to move the front teeth (smaller) into the space than to push all the back tee...  Read Full

I need a second opinion about my orthodontic treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently having Damon braces for almost a year. I have attached a picture. What do you think about my teeth position, especially, my canine? I think it looks weird. What should be done by my dentist to make it look right?  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Damon braces are a self-ligating system of dental braces and it implicates light forces over the teeth and lets the tooth movement occur in a short time and needs fewer adjustments. The image that you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity), does ...  Read Full