Q. For my open bite, do I need braces or surgery?

Dr. Geethanjali. S. S
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

I have a quite wide open bite. I am 24 years old and want to get them fixed with braces. The open bite is so big that I can thrust a pencil in my mouth with my teeth closed. I have attached a photo for your reference. Will it require surgery or can it be fixed with braces? How long will it take to fix them?

#

I have seen the picture you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The open bite can be corrected effectively with braces treatment. Surgery would not be a choice for this type of bite correction.
  • The braces treatment will take approximately one year to get completed and after which you will be provided with a custom designed removable retainer clips to be worn for six to nine months.
  • Also, you might have to get your fourth or fifth teeth from the centre (first or second premolars) removed in order to gain space while aligning the teeth.
  • Please consult your orthodontist (braces specialist) for an elaborate treatment plan. Overall, my personal advice would be that go for the braces option because it is worth the wait as it will give you the best result in the long run.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|