Q. I chew on toothpicks. Would this habit damage my teeth in any way?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Published on Oct 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

Are birchwood toothpicks hard enough to cause damage to tooth enamel? Do they cause damage to the teeth in any way? I have pored over the internet for the answer to this question, with many dentists recommending that toothpicks should not be used or chewed on, or saying that it can cause damage to gums if used improperly. But they do not say exactly and scientifically why, if it only applies to certain woods, etc. Assume the toothpicks are being used properly and will not be causing harm to the gums. I find great pleasure in gently sucking on and chewing a couple toothpicks per day, usually once they are softened with saliva, and I want to know if this is a horrendous dental habit or a fairly harmless one.

#

• We use toothpicks in the anatomical spaces present between the teeth. The spaces are called as embrasures. While you use the toothpick, you lacerate the gingival tissue that covers those spaces (the cone-shaped gingiva present between the teeth) that results in the creation of tunnels in between you teeth hence increasing the risk of food impaction.
  • Food impaction means the food gets trapped between the teeth. Various bacteria act on this food and result in the creation of various cariogenic agents (substances that cause tooth decay) like acids, which dissolve enamel and that means your tooth would get proximal caries that will progress with time as this type of caries goes unnoticed.
  • So, do not chew on toothpicks as it is a hard surface. Chewing on hard substances weakens your enamel. I suggest you choose better options like dental floss instead.
  • You can do a gingival massage using gum paint to reverse the damage already caused to your gums.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Please suggest remedy for small gum abscess.

Query: Hello doctor, I have gum abscess. It is very small and white in color. Should I visit a dentist or will it be alright if I go for home remedies?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It would have been better if you had sent a clear photograph of the jaw and whether you did a filling of the tooth in the same area so that I can assess it properly. Still, with limited inputs, I feel it is a case of gingival abscess due to a diseased tooth or carious t...  Read Full

I have not brushed as regularly as you should. How to stop tooth from hurting?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 18 years old and due to many personal reasons, I have not brushed my teeth regularly as you should, I might have brushed 10 times in the last two years. I cannot see a dentist due to my situation but I want to change my life now that I am older. My top left molar hurts a little whe...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We will not judge. It is alright. You can still have your teeth in good condition but you have to keep brushing twice every day. Just follow this. Take Amoxicillin or Augmentin 500 mg tablet twice a day after meal for three days. Take one multivitamin tablet ever...  Read Full

How can I get relief from severe gum pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 56 year old male. I have been diagnosed with gingivitis and taking medicines like Metrogyl, Amoxyllin, and Relaxon since two days. But, it is very painful today. What do I do?  Read Full >>

Dr. Subha
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Gingivitis is a condition in which the gums are inflamed, reddish and have the tendency to bleed while brushing. When the gum disease is severe it causes pain. From the details you have given, it is clear that you are already under antibiotics and painkiller regimen. I...  Read Full