Q. Had unprotected oral sex following a hard lip suck. Will it cause HIV?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

I have engaged in protected sex with a woman whose HIV status is unknown. However, during the encounter, I involved in brief oral sex for one minute (the tongue touched only the clitoris, and there was no fluid exchange as it was dry and my lips or mouth never touched the vagina). Also, she sucked my lower lip very hard, which caused inflammation with an ooze of pre-blood fluid. Does this put me at risk of HIV?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I can understand your worries and always wish the best of your health. With the unknown status of the sex partner, it is always advised to be careful and observe all the precautionary measures to avoid STDs transmission. I can see you are taking Trioday (Tenofovir, Lamivudine, and Efavirenz) and that is useful in preventing HIV from multiplying in the human body. If she was HIV positive, it might pose a risk of transmission in a situation like this.

To be on the safe side, HIV screening is a good idea. Hopefully, your prescribing physician must have done that screening too. Please keep future follow-ups also to tackle the situation better.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Is it possible to have hairy leukoplakia three months after risky sexual activity?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male who discovered this lesion on my tongue by accident while brushing my teeth. It does not come off easily with the toothbrush. Actually, it does not, unless I apply significant force to remove it. It has been a month since I first discovered it and no other symp...  Read Full »

I had oral sex with confirmed HIV positive guy. What are my chances of infection?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 29-year-old male homosexual. I had a sexual encounter 15 days back with a confirmed HIV positive guy. I gave him blow job with a condom and we smooched. He also blew me but I was not putting on a condom and when he spit out, there was a streak of blood in the spit. He says he has...  Read Full »

Is immuno-concentration HIV test conclusive after 15 months of sexual exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old boy. I had a partner for past 2 to 3 years. We performed sex 6 to 7 times. Last was before 14 months and then had a break-up. Now I see that she is HIV positive. Now I fear about HIV because there is high risk and I want to marry another girl. My symptoms are a sore...  Read Full »