Q. Had unprotected oral sex following a hard lip suck. Will it cause HIV?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I have engaged in protected sex with a woman whose HIV status is unknown. However, during the encounter, I involved in brief oral sex for one minute (the tongue touched only the clitoris, and there was no fluid exchange as it was dry and my lips or mouth never touched the vagina). Also, she sucked my lower lip very hard, which caused inflammation with an ooze of pre-blood fluid. Does this put me at risk of HIV?

Do you have a question on Oral Sex or Hiv Risk Factors?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

MBBS
Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine

I can understand your worries and always wish the best of your health. With the unknown status of the sex partner, it is always advised to be careful and observe all the precautionary measures to avoid STDs transmission. I can see you are taking Trioday (Tenofovir, Lamivudine, and Efavirenz) and that is useful in preventing HIV from multiplying in the human body. If she was HIV positive, it might pose a risk of transmission in a situation like this.

To be on the safe side, HIV screening is a good idea. Hopefully, your prescribing physician must have done that screening too. Please keep future follow-ups also to tackle the situation better.

Also Read Answers From: Oral Sex Hiv Risk Factors

Is it possible to have hairy leukoplakia three months after risky sexual activity?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male who discovered this lesion on my tongue by accident while brushing my teeth. It does not come off easily with the toothbrush. Actually, it does not, unless I apply significant force to remove it. It has been a month since I first discovered it and no other symp...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It does not appear to be hairy cell leukoplakia. It appears like a normal ulceration or papule only. I suggest applying Triamcinolone ointment over it twice daily and observe if it goes down. Eat a healthy diet rich in folic acid and all other vitamins. Take plenty o...  Read Full »

I had oral sex with confirmed HIV positive guy. What are my chances of infection?
Query: Hello doctor,I am a 29-year-old male homosexual. I had a sexual encounter 15 days back with a confirmed HIV positive guy. I gave him blow job with a condom and we smooched. He also blew me but I was not putting on a condom and when he spit out, there was a streak of blood in the spit. He says he has...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is certainly a sizeable risk of transmission. Since he spit the blood, whatever may be a source, meaning he has had viruses in his oral cavity. HIV RNA or p24 antigen test, both are equally good becomes positive in one to two weeks period after infection, so yo...  Read Full »

Is immuno-concentration HIV test conclusive after 15 months of sexual exposure?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old boy. I had a partner for past 2 to 3 years. We performed sex 6 to 7 times. Last was before 14 months and then had a break-up. Now I see that she is HIV positive. Now I fear about HIV because there is high risk and I want to marry another girl. My symptoms are a sore...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Do not worry, I will solve your doubt. After around one year almost any test can rule out HIV conclusively. So rapid test is reliable and no need for further testing. But still, you have investigated with chemilumiscence test that gives re...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now