Q. Had unprotected oral sex following a hard lip suck. Will it cause HIV?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif

I have engaged in protected sex with a woman whose HIV status is unknown. However, during the encounter, I involved in brief oral sex for one minute (the tongue touched only the clitoris, and there was no fluid exchange as it was dry and my lips or mouth never touched the vagina). Also, she sucked my lower lip very hard, which caused inflammation with an ooze of pre-blood fluid. Does this put me at risk of HIV?

#

I can understand your worries and always wish the best of your health. With the unknown status of the sex partner, it is always advised to be careful and observe all the precautionary measures to avoid STDs transmission. I can see you are taking Trioday (Tenofovir, Lamivudine, and Efavirenz) and that is useful in preventing HIV from multiplying in the human body. If she was HIV positive, it might pose a risk of transmission in a situation like this.

To be on the safe side, HIV screening is a good idea. Hopefully, your prescribing physician must have done that screening too. Please keep future follow-ups also to tackle the situation better.

|