Q. I had oral thrush, swollen lymph nodes, and fever after a week of unprotected sex. Is this HIV infection?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 18, 2020

I have unprotected vaginal and oral sex with a sex worker three weeks ago. I do not know her status of HIV although she said she is clean. Exactly after seven days of my exposure, I feel something wrong with my body as it is feeling uncomfortable. I had oral thrush, loss of appetite, swollen lymph nodes in neck, body aches, needles like pain all over my body, night sweat although no fever but I can feel the temperature is high, it is 98.5-99.3 degrees for the next couple of days. So I suspected that I got infected with HIV.

Due to anxiety, I took the HIV antibody test on the 9th day of my exposure which I know is a bit early come out negative. But then on the 10th day (exactly after 9 days 10 hours), I took HIV 1 RNA TMA test on stdcheck.com which they said 95-99% accurate in 9-11 days after exposure. I got the result yesterday, as negative no HIV 1 RNA detected.

Now, still I am in confusion because I am 100% sure I got infected with HIV. I do not know if these tests are conclusive or not. I do not have guts to do another test. Please help. And also some of my symptoms are gone but I discovered some additional like pain in kidneys, lower abdomen, chest pain, joint pain, and extreme fatigue for two to three days.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

I have gone through the details and reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

All the tests are negative is a good sign. The chances of transmission of HIV by unprotected intercourse with an HIV positive person is too low. If negative it is nil. You can allay fears.

HIV RNA PCR is negative and is a good sign. It is almost conclusive. The chances of tests coming positive later are nil. But it is better to get tested for HIV 1 and 2 antibodies after three months to have conclusive results.

| 

Is 9 days 10 hours enough time for the virus to come in my blood? I took the test because I had symptoms two days prior to the test. So I believe the HIV virus can only cause these symptoms. Is it right?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

RNA PCR is a very sensitive test. It can detect as early as four days itself but is considered sensitive after 10 days. The symptoms are nonspecific and can be due to any simple respiratory infection. It does not suggest HIV. HIV is diagnosed by tests. The chances of tests coming positive later is nil. But better go for a conclusive test after three months to relieve your anxiety.

| 

Can unprotected sex on third day of period cause pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I and my fiancee had unprotected sex on the third day of her period. I did not ejaculate inside her. And she also has the history of an irregular period but from the past three months, she is getting her regular period. I just want to know what are the chances of pregnancy.  Read Full »

Is unprotected sex on the fifth day of period safe?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex on the fifth day of my last periods and he pulled out on time. It has been 35 days and I have not got my periods. Is there any chance of getting pregnant?  Read Full »

Can HIV spread through a cut on a finger?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a query related to HIV. I had visited a massage parlor 57 days ago, where at the end I had fingered the masseuse for about one to one and a half minute and she performed a hand job (no other activities). I have a habit of biting my nail and the skin around the nail. The day befor...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now