Q. I feel my teeth are slanting at the end of ortho treatment. What shall I do?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2019

I am nearly two years into my orthodontic treatment to correct overcrowding and midline correction. Although I am really concerned as my face seems to look really asymmetrical and my teeth are slanting, I feel really self-conscious about it. I feel it is something my orthodontist not correcting. Please advise what I should do and give me your expert opinion.

#

• Your teeth are almost aligned and from the front aspect, it looks like it is near completion (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Since I cannot see the teeth in the back region, I will address your concerns from the front aspect.
  • You are right in your observation about teeth slanting. The teeth look slanted in relation to each other which is easier to correct as opposed to teeth slanting in relation to the jaws and your lips.
  • It means that the face is not going to look asymmetrical when the individual teeth positions are corrected. Also, there is a slight midline discrepancy related to your upper front teeth, which may be a little harder to correct and requires complex techniques.
  • The usual time when these finer details are addressed is just before the end of the treatment (last three to four months). It is called the finishing and detailing stage.
  • So in my opinion, to make things simpler, please discuss your concerns at this stage of treatment with your orthodontist to make him or her aware. Also, give adequate time to correct the same or simply to know if he or she has included this in the treatment plan.
  • Since orthodontic treatment is elective, it is the duty of your orthodontist to explain about the treatment end result with you and if any concerns regarding what can or cannot be achieved.
  • This is not something to be anxious about as most likely your orthodontist has planned this in your overall treatment plan.

For further information consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

|