Q. Will removing wisdom tooth create space for crowded teeth?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have high canine teeth due to crowding in my upper jaw. Visually, it appears that space, where my canines should be, is too small for them. However, when I went to an orthodontist, she said that I would need to get my first premolars removed to make room. If I get my wisdom teeth out, should not there be enough room to bring my canines down? I guess it would make a much faster process with braces. Thank you.

#

• Generally, when space is less for the number and size of teeth present in the jaw, it is advised to remove premolar on each side in one or both the jaws.
  • The reason being, it is more convenient to move the front teeth (smaller) into the space than to push all the back teeth (large molar) into the space created by removed wisdom teeth.
  • At times there is no space for wisdom teeth to erupt.and at that point our option of removing wisdom teeth for this purpose will not work.
  • Also, it takes a lot longer in terms of time and effort to push the molars back to create space.
  • Another conditional factor is your growth pattern and requirement of taking the front teeth back.
  • In 95% cases, it is favorable to remove premolars than to think of using wisdom tooth space.

For further doubts consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

|