Q. How likely is that OS ASD will cure on its own in a baby?

Dr. Amit Modi
Published on Jan 05, 2019

My son (1-month-old baby) is suffering from breathing problems and lung infection. We went to a pediatrician, he suggested doing 2D echo. In that we found moderate OS ASD. Will it cure on its own? Please give a suggestion.

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

The treatment of atrial septal defect in neonate or infant depends on the size of the defect and clinical condition of the child. If the child is stable, it can be left alone and sometimes it closes by the age of 3 years. If still, the problem persists, the surgical closure is recommended. Small or moderate size, not causing any complication may be left alone.

A regular follow up with pediatrician and pediatric cardiologist is recommended. Heart defect may lead to a recurrent chest infection and breathing problem. So the child needs utmost care.

Will (moderate OS ASD) cure on its own? How much time will it take? If the treatment is required what are they? After treatment what safety measurements are required? After treatment, they lead a normal life or not?

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Once an atrial septal defect is diagnosed, your child's pediatric cardiologist will need to regularly evaluate your child periodically to see whether it is closing on its own. Usually, an ASD will be repaired if it has not closed on its own by the time your child starts school. If ASD does not close on its own, surgical correction is required at 3 to 4 years of age. After surgery, they lead a normal life.

Is my dizziness related to any heart problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel dizzy the whole day. In the last 10 days, I have consulted three doctors, physician, ENT doctor and also checked audio test of the ear. The ENT doctor said that there is no problem in ears, but my dizziness is continuing. It feels like there is no balance in my body. I cannot s...  Read Full »

Is there any connection between cough and OS ASD?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year male. I have done echo and tee test. The result is ACHD, SS, LC, 30x28 mm OS ASD~2:1 L-->R SHUNT, PV AND IVC rim not clear, good BV function, mild PAH, no HF, SR and FCI. Cardiology doctor suggested open heart surgery for correction of ASD and another doctor said tha...  Read Full »

Is surgery the only option in case of a heart defect such as ASD?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently went for an annual health checkup. I was diagnosed with a heart defect (ASD) and was recommended a surgical closure. In this regard, I need your opinion and guidance.  Read Full »