Q. Can being slapped on the face cause ear trouble?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 19, 2022

I was slapped on my face today. It has been three hours now but there has been no dizziness, severe pain or fluid flow. I played soccer on the beach and drove scooter over 10 km in between without any issues. All I feel now is a slight pain in my ear when I put my small finger inside the ear. I wish to know whether there will be any future trouble if no major symptoms prevail during the first few hours? Also, I am considering scuba diving (beginners session) tomorrow. Can I take the classes?

#

You seem to be asymptomatic. Pain while putting finger can be due to mild edema of the external ear canal due to injury.

Since you do not have any symptoms suggestive of middle ear involvement, I do not think you will have any problem in the future.

But to be on the safer side you please take anti-inflammatory enzymes like Trypsin and Chymotrypsin for three days which will reduce any inflammation present. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

Regarding scuba diving, I suggest you to avoid for a week or go ahead only after ear examination.

By any chance, if you have injured your eardrum then diving will increase the chances of infection.

I am deciding not to go for scuba. But can I go for other water sports such as parasailing and beach dipping?

#

Yes, you can. But make sure water does not go inside your ears.

I hope this was helpful.

|