Q. Is it safe to opt train travel while recovering from a ruptured eardrum?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Aug 23, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 26, 2019

I am currently recovering from a ruptured eardrum due to a bacterial infection of my inner and middle ear. I am still oozing a little bit, mostly at night, but the pain has finally subsided. The pain was very bad for about a week. I have finished taking my Amoxicillin tablets, and now I am finishing my anti-bacterial ear droplets until the bottle runs out per doctors orders. As of right now, my doctor advises I not fly for at least another two weeks. I am reading mixed things about ear and pressure when exposed to an airplane or a tunnel, but still very uncertain if the pressure experienced by a tunnel is the cause for enough concern at this point to not to go on my trip. I would like to know whether the train would be fine for me?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

If the channel tunnel that you would probably take is deep water, then it is best to avoid. Flight journeys and deep-sea pressures expose you to extreme changes of stress, which usually get compensated by a normal functioning eustachian tube. In your case, where you suffered a ruptured drum due to an infection, the middle ear, the drum, and the eustachian tube are slightly going to be inflamed now and still not in the best of their functions. In such a situation, your undertaking such journeys with extreme changes of pressures can cause a rupture of the thinly formed fresh drum. So it is better to avoid it.

I had 875 mg of Amoxicillin in six hours with Acetaminophen. Will I be fine?

Query: Hello doctor,I took 875 mg of Amoxicillin in six hours. I did not realize it was supposed to be over 12 hours until I was searching until now. It only said two times a day on the bottle. I also had 500 mg of Acetaminophen with it. Will I be fine?  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A dose of Amoxycillin at 20 years of age is around 1500 mg per day. This total of 1500 mg can be divided into two of approximately 750 mg or three doses of about 500 mg. You have taken the drug recommended in a whole day in six hours, and this will not cause any harm...  Read Full

Can being slapped on the face cause ear trouble?

Query: Hello doctor, I was slapped on my face today. It has been three hours now but there has been no dizziness, severe pain or fluid flow. I played soccer on the beach and drove scooter over 10 km in between without any issues. All I feel now is a slight pain in my ear when I put my small finger inside ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be asymptomatic. Pain while putting finger can be due to mild edema of the external ear canal due to injury. Since you do not have any symptoms suggestive of middle ear involvement, I do not think you will have any problem in the future. But to be on th...  Read Full

What are the best steps to aid healing of ear perforation?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a perforated right ear for more than two years. I do not want surgery. Also antibiotics did not work. What are the best steps to be taken?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An ear perforation (ruptured eardrum) can be safe or unsafe. An unsafe perforation has to be operated otherwise life is in danger. A safe perforation can be left unoperated and yet tried to achieve closure. If small perforation then body can heal it and close it if free o...  Read Full