Q. A light green fluid is leaking from my ear. Kindly help.

Answered by
Dr. Shyam Kalyan N
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have hearing loss from childhood. I had an infection in both the ears four years before and got it treated with antibiotics and got well. But, within weeks, a fluid of light green and sometimes brown color started leaking from my ear often during the day and it was itching. The doctors just gave me eardrops like Candibiotic and said its nothing. Until today, I am unable to find a solution. Recently, I took Augmentin 625, Omez 40, Allergen tablet and Ciplox D ear drops for one week. At that time, it stopped and started leaking again when I completed the medication. I again took the medicines after one month and the same happened. I have vitamin B12, vitamin D3 deficiency and I am taking medications for that. I have slight thyroid. I always have giddiness. Kindly help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

You can have two of these conditions. This is what I can diagnose based on your history that you have given very well. Either chronic ear problem with a perforated eardrum or a fungal infection of the ear canal and drum.

Perforation of the drum explains most of your symptoms like hearing loss, giddiness, repeated discharges from the ear and itching inside the ear. Fungal infection of the ear can also produce similar symptoms but it is mostly pain, fullness, ear discharge, and sometimes reduced hearing.

Among the two, considering you have been having this problem since a very long time, I would say, it is perforation of the eardrum and a chronic discharging ear. For this problem, we need to check inside the ear using a camera or an otoscope. For the same, you must visit an ENT specialist rather than a physician. An otoendoscope is present in most ENT centers these days which can help you also see the problem inside the ear.

Now let us assume you have a perforation. The next step is keeping the ear dry. For the same, an acute infection is treated with special antibiotics (which are better for ear infections) and thereafter you may use a hearing aid or undergo tympanoplasty operation. The relative benefits and side effects of hearing aids with perforation and tympanoplasty can be explained to you if you require. First, let us stop the discharge.

If you were to come to me for this issue and if I could diagnose it as chronic perforation syndrome, then I would put you on a course of Ofloxacin 200 mg one tablet twice daily, with Lorfast 10 mg (Loratadine) one tablet once daily, Singulair 10 mg (Montelukast) one tablet once daily and Recofast (Phenylephrine and Triprolidine) tablet half tablet in the morning. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

I would simultaneously rule out nose and throat problems as they can be the cause for recurrent ear problems. You would have to keep the ear dry, with special care during bathing so that water does not enter the ear.

Once the ear is dry, I would advise you to go for a hearing test called pure tone audiogram. Any audiology center will be able to do this test. Based on the report of the test, we will have to tune our long-term management. Remember that the test should be done when there is no active disease.

I hope I have given you a good picture of the problem. Do write back for more details and any doubt you want to clear. Will be happy to help you.

For more information consult an allergy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?

.. your concerns. Regarding your ear pain, it is most likely what is called otitis externa which is an infection of the outer canal of the ear most likely fungal. Wet ear is the most common cause also called swimmer's ear. The most appropriate manag...   Read full

I sit in front of the computer for long and I am unable to focus. How can I be helped?

.. all kindly answer these questions. How many hours per day do you spend in front of a computer? Is there watering of the eye too? Are you suffering from a headache? While working on the computer, if you are working for long hours then take a br...   Read full

What are the best steps to aid healing of ear perforation?

.. perforation (ruptured eardrum) can be safe or unsafe. An unsafe perforation has to be operated otherwise life is in danger. A safe perforation can be left unoperated and yet tried to achieve closure. If small perforation then body can heal it and ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Can viral fever lead to Parkinson's disease?
Hello doctor,I had a viral fever six years back. I had a very high temperature of 105, bad cough, also hallucinations. I...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»
Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 Vaccines
COVID-19 vaccines can be a real lifesaver. Read this to know the answers to the common questions and doubts on COVID-19 ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.