Q. My left ear is swollen, and I can hardly hear. Why?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 28, 2020

I am a 41-year-old female with a weight of 180 lbs. My left ear is swollen for the past three days, and I can hardly hear. I took Amoxiclav for two days and ear drops for inflammation, and Mefenamic for pain.

#

I want to inform you that the ear consists of the pinna, external auditory canal, middle ear, and inner ear. It depends on which part of your outer ear is swollen. First, you do not touch the swollen area and prevent the entry of water inside your ear.

According to your history, it can be otitis externa.

It will be easier if you could get other histories like ear manipulation, ear discharge, trauma, or any previous history.

At now, you can follow the following treatment.

Treatment:

1)Tab Flucloxacillin 500 mg four times a day for five days.

2) Tab Paracetamol and Ibuprofen one tablet three times a day for three days.

3) Ointment Supirocin-B (Mupirocin and Betamethasone) plus around the swelling area three times a day for seven days.

4) Ear drops Ocupol-D (Chloramphenicol, Polymyxin-B sulphate, and Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate) three times a day for seven days.

• Avoid swimming.
  • Avoid entry of water in your ear.
  • Steam inhalation.

If symptoms deteriorate, better to visit ent doctor near your place. I hope this will help you.

|