Impaired Hearing

The complete or partial inability of the ears to hear sounds is called impaired hearing or hearing loss or deafness, which can be mild, moderate, severe, or profound. In mild cases, listening in a noisy environment is compromised, whereas a hearing aid is required in moderate hearing loss patients. Both severe and profound cases are dependent on lip-reading and sign language to communicate with each other.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

How to enhance my 68-year-old mother's hearing problem?

Query: Hello doctor,My 68 year old mother has a hearing problem. I understand it is due to her age but is there any device which can enhance the hearing in her case?  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay. S. Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to There are various causes for hearing problems. Among them, the most common one is an age-related hearing loss known as presbycusis. If hearing loss is significant and confirmed by an audiological examination such as pure tone audiogram, she can use hearing aids. ...  Read Full »

What is the effect of tympanotomy and tympanoplasty in hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has more than 70% hearing loss in the left ear. The doctor has recommended tympanotomy or tympanoplasty. Is it effective? My mother is 55 years old. Would she get any benefit from this surgery? Is there any complication associated with it? Is there any non-surgical procedure ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I would recommend you to undergo a test called tympanometry in which we will come to know if there is any collection of fluid in the middle ear or if there is any damage to the bone of the middle ear. Also, let me know what kind of hearing loss she has. Is it conductive...  Read Full »

Other than cochlear implant, is there any other way to treat hearing loss in a kid?

Query: Hi doctor, My niece is 4 years old now. A year back we realized that she was not catching up how to speak and consulted an ENT doctor. Doctor performed few tests like BERA, OAE and hearing assessment. Then he confirmed that my niece is suffering from profound hearing loss. Doctor suggested hearing a...  Read Full »

Dr. Pradeep. V. R

Answer: Hi,Welcome to (attachment removed to protect patient identity) clearly explains about the problems. I clearly understand your concern and worries. You are worried about the cosmetic appearance but you are missing about the importance of normal speech and hearing in life. Already ...  Read Full »

Can ADHD and PTSD cause hearing impairment?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a man in my early twenties and have started using hearing aids about a year ago. I am very happy with this, it has really changed my life. Just recently I started reading up a bit more and now I feel very confused and weird about it all. The thing is, I was told I had a mild mid-f...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Let me tell you a statement which explains it perfectly. The ear receives the sound but interpretation of sound happens at the brain. So many a times with mild hearing loss speech perception is low moreover you have tinnitus too. I hope you have fitted with digital pr...  Read Full »

I had an upper respiratory tract infection, and now I have trouble hearing. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I had an upper respiratory tract infection three weeks ago, and my left ear became muffled and unpopped. I am having trouble hearing but do not have pain. My doctor said it was an ear infection that would go away. I tried nasal decongestants and warm clothes to relieve pressure, but nothi...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. You are suffering from serous otitis media, a fluid collection behind the ear drum. It usually occurs after an upper respiratory tract infection which causes the blockage of the eustachian tube opening in the nose. The ...  Read Full »

Why is my hearing impaired after waking up dizzy and nauseous?

Query: Hi doctor, Five days ago (for the first time in my life) I went to the emergency room of the local hospital. I had awakened at 3 AM with severe dizziness and nausea. We determined that it was probably caused from an accidental overdose of Tamsulosin. I have gradually improved but to only about 80 %...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You need to perform tympanometry and pure tone audiometry to assess the condition of your middle ears, inner ears, and cochlear nerves. The attack which you have experienced can be an acute vestibular attack but the accurate diagnosis needs initially the previous audiolo...  Read Full »

I have had constant ringing in my ears for two years, which has also affected my hearing ability. What could be the cause?

Query: Hi doctor,I have had a continuous ringing sound in my right ear for the past two years. And because of that ringing sound, my hearing capacity has reduced in that ear. I have visited many doctors but did not find any effective solution to this problem. I also underwent an audiometry test in the past...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can understand your concern. You have tinnitus, a disease of the internal ear that occurs due to degenerative changes in the hair cells in the cochlea. There are so many factors behind it that have to be sorted out. The factors may be complications of metabolic disea...  Read Full »

A pulp is seen in the ear after accidental eardrum damage. What is to be done?

Query: Hi doctor,Five days back, my son put a plastic stick into his ears and the membrane got damaged and blood came out. We went to the doctor immediately. He gave us Azithromycin to give the child and told us to keep his ear safe from air, water and, all other materials. He also told us to watch out for...  Read Full »

Dr. Fazil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Since there was damage to the membrane you need to be careful, it can cause a decrease in hearing if the damage does not heal properly or get infected. If pus is coming from the ear, kindly consult a nearby ENT doctor and take treatment for the infection. It can take ...  Read Full »

What is the cause of my hearing problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I am having trouble with my left ear hearing. But, I never took much care to sort it. Lately, I found it is little awkward. I am having an old audiogram result with me. Please look through it and tell your advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You have an almost nil hearing in the left ear (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your right ear is normal. So, all your hearing is through right ear and problem you already have is difficulty in localizing speech other than hearing loss. Unilate...  Read Full »

I could not hear properly and was diagnosed with a 15 % hole in my eardrum. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I was not able to hear properly. So I consulted an E.N.T specialist who said I have a 15 % hole in my eardrum. I said I felt that I had muffled hearing and a fullness feeling in my left ear after scuba diving. So I asked how long would it take to heal, and the doctor said it depends, b...  Read Full »

Dr. Oliyath Ali

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and can understand your concern. Whether a 15 % perforated drum will heal spontaneously depends on how the perforation was caused and for how long the perforation has been there. If it is a new perforation caused by trauma like a sudden slap on th...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.