Impaired Hearing

Why is my left ear swollen?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 41-year-old female with a weight of 180 lbs. My left ear is swollen for the past three days, and I can hardly hear. I took Amoxiclav for two days and ear drops for inflammation, and Mefenamic for pain.  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to inform you that the ear consists of the pinna, external auditory canal, middle ear, and inner ear. It depends on which part of your outer ear is swollen. First, you do not touch the swollen area and prevent the entry of water inside your ear. According to ...  Read Full »

Why does my son put his head to the side and hate it while going over a hill?

Query: Almost 2.5,year old has been really upset since two days especially when people talk or cry especially kids. He is cutting two molars at the moment. We have been to playgroups with no issues gets super clingy but hes fine. We went outside and he was fine until a kid starting talking. And interacted ...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: There may be something wrong with the hearing as per your history. The child may either be having some congestion which may be leading to impaired or over sensitive hearing due to glue ear. Decongestants like cetzine should help. There may also be some wax in the ear which may be creating all the ir...  Read Full »

What is the cause of my hearing problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I am having trouble with my left ear hearing. But, I never took much care to sort it. Lately, I found it is little awkward. I am having an old audiogram result with me. Please look through it and tell your advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have an almost nil hearing in the left ear (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your right ear is normal. So, all your hearing is through right ear and problem you already have is difficulty in localizing speech other than hearing loss. Unilateral heari...  Read Full »

Can ADHD and PTSD cause hearing impairment?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a man in my early twenties that started using hearing aids about a year ago. I am very happy with this, it has really changed my life. Just recently I started reading up a bit more and now I feel very confused and weird about it all. The thing is, I was told I had a mild mid-freq...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me tell you a statement which explains it perfectly. The ear receives the sound but interpretation of sound happens at the brain. So many a times with mild hearing loss speech perception is low moreover you have tinnitus too. I hope you have fitted with digital pr...  Read Full »

Why do I feel like something is blocking my hearing in the right ear?

Query: my ear(right ear) its like something is there something blocking i cant hear  Read Full »

Dr. Bruce Hudkins

Answer: Hello and welcome! Without much more information, I can only point out a few causes that come to mind. Perhaps it would help for me to break it down into two categories: 1. Acute one sided hearing loss---consider, in descending order of probability--cerumen (ear wax) impaction, Eustachian tube d...  Read Full »

When there is hearing damage due to high sound, will the same sound level hurt it again?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about hearing. Firstly, I am aware that hearing loss takes place when the tiny hair cells within the inner ear are damaged. My question is, once a particular hair has been damaged, will the same sound level that previously damaged it, hurt it again? For example, if yo...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is something called a temporary threshold shift and permanent hearing loss. Temporary loss is the loss which if a sudden burst of sound and you get hearing loss as hair cells are fatigued however hearing regains soon in some time. If it is a permanent loss that...  Read Full »

Why has my hearing affected after suddenly waking up in the morning with dizziness and nausea?

Query: Hi doctor, Five days ago (for the first time in my life) I went to the emergency room of the local hospital. I had awakened at 3 AM with severe dizziness and nausea. We determined that it was probably caused from an accidental overdose of Tamsulosin. I have gradually improved but to only about 80 %...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. You need to perform tympanometry and pure tone audiometry to assess the condition of your middle ears, inner ears, and cochlear nerves. The attack which you have experienced can be an acute vestibular attack but the accurate diagnosis needs initially the previous audiolo...  Read Full »

Other than cochlear implant, is there any other way to treat hearing loss in a kid?

Query: Hi doctor, My niece is 4 years old now. A year back we realized that she was not catching up how to speak and consulted an ENT doctor. Doctor performed few tests like BERA, OAE and hearing assessment. Then he confirmed that my niece is suffering from profound hearing loss. Doctor suggested hearing a...  Read Full »

Dr. Pradeep V R

Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) clearly explains about the problems. I clearly understand your concern and worries. You are worried about the cosmetic appearance but you are missing about the importance of normal speech and hearing in life. Alread...  Read Full »

Can noise exposure at a young age lead to delayed onset NIHL later in life?

Query: Hi doctor, I want you to review a portion of a medical report and put it in layman's term. I am specifically hoping that this report confirms my suspicion that the effects of noise exposure at younger ages can lead to delayed onset of noise-induced hearing loss later in life. The document contains ...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, I can. Please attach the report here. Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist  Read Full »

What is the effect of tympanotomy and tympanoplasty in hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor,  My mother has more than 70% hearing loss in the left ear. The doctor has recommended tympanotomy or tympanoplasty. Is it effective? My mother is 55 years old. Would she get any benefit from this surgery? Is there any complication associated with it? Is there any non-surgical procedur...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would recommend you to undergo a test called tympanometry in which we will come to know if there is any collection of fluid in the middle ear or if there is any damage to the bone of the middle ear. Also, let me know what kind of hearing loss she has. Is it conduct...  Read Full »