Q. During the first cycle of IVF, I was diagnosed with a cyst in my ovaries. Is it a dermoid cyst?

Dr. Lorena Zijaj
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I have consulted three doctors. I have done MRI to investigate the cyst. A 3.5-centimeter cyst was found during IVF cycle treatment. The doctors were unable to identify the type of cyst whether it is a benign or malignant one. Everyone says that it looks suspicious. I have attached the reports. Before nine years, I had an ovarian tumor of 15 centimeters and it was a dermoid cyst. I have not completed my IVF cycle and I was taking ovarian stimulation injections. But these are stopped now.

#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please mention from when you have started your IVF (in-vitro fertilization) cycle. The procedure has raised the risk of cysts especially causing ovarian hyperstimulation. Please mention whether you diagnosed the cyst before or after the stimulation cycle and how many cycles of stimulation performed. From the MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) report, it is probably not an ovarian fibroadenoma. All the tumor markers are negative and it is a good sign with a more probability of having a benign lesion. A definitive diagnosis can be made by doing a histopathological examination after removing the cyst.

A scan was done before starting the IVF treatment. It showed a cyst. After that, another scan was done, and they told me that there is no cyst. I thought of it as a functional cyst and proceeded the treatment. I had a low dose of stimulation injection for three days. After that, I found a 3.5-centimeter cyst on the first monitoring scan. They did not believe that it was caused due to injections. This was my first cycle of IVF and it was canceled after this incident. I have stopped the medications and further treatment was not done. Do you think it as an ovarian fibroadenoma? Does it require surgery to remove it?

#

It seems to be a benign cyst or fibroadenoma or a dermoid cyst or a hemorrhagic cyst. Usually, we consider it as a cyst when it is more than five centimeters. You can try contraception for two months or without contraception and reexamine them with an ultrasound. If there is no reduction or rupture of the cyst, then you can do a laparoscopy and it is a good option.

|