Q. Can a right ovarian cyst cause pain in the left pelvic area?

Dr. Garima Sawhney

I have polycystic ovary syndrome and my periods get delayed sometimes. From the past four days, I am having pain in my left pelvic area. I got an ultrasound done, and it shows 4.5 cm cyst in my right ovary. Why am I having pain on my left side when the cyst is on the right? Could this pain be due to the cyst?

#

The pain that you are experiencing is not due to the ovarian cyst, as the cyst is on the right side and pain is on the left side.

This pain might be caused by an infection or any other pathology. So, I suggest you repeat an ultrasound of the pelvis if the pain is severe.

PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) will cause irregularity in the menstrual cycle but will not cause such a pain.

I wanted to know the type of cyst you have, When was the ultrasound done? You will require a repeat ultrasound after three months, to know whether the size of the cyst is same or if it is increasing.

Revert with more information to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for replying. My ovarian cyst is a hemorrhagic cyst. The pain reduces on taking Meftal Spas.

#

No need of an ultrasound if the pain is better after taking Meftal Spas (combination of Dicyclomine and Mefenamic acid) tablet.

Please attach your ultrasound reports for further advice regarding management of pain.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

My doctor told me to get an MRI and laparoscopy done, but I do not know the reason. I also got tested for cancer in the ovary, but it was negative. I am attaching my test reports.

#

Left side pain might be due to endometriosis, even if the cyst is on the right side.

Any ovarian cyst more than 5 cm needs further investigations to rule out carcinoma of the ovary, that test you have already done. The second thing is if the cyst is less than 5 cm then what is the nature of the cyst?

• In your case, the cyst is around 5 cm, and it is a hemorrhagic cyst, that means there is some blood inside the cyst. So, this could either be due to endometriosis or a corpus luteal cyst, which usually gets absorbed by the body in every monthly cycle and the size of it usually remains less than 3 cm.
  • But, in case if it does not get absorbed then it keeps on growing, and there is a chance of it getting ruptured and causing bleeding inside, or it might tear the ovary which causes acute pain, and an emergency surgery is needed.
  • I would suggest you try taking tablet Taxim O (Cefixime 200 mg) twice daily for five days and then repeat the ultrasound after a week to check the size of the cyst. In case the cyst size remains the same, or it increases, then you better undergo a laparoscopy and get it removed.

Thank you for replying. What is endometriosis?

#

• Endometriosis is a condition in which the inner layer of the uterus called endometrium spreads outside the uterus to the nearby organs, and sometimes it forms cystic component called as a chocolate cyst, and on ultrasound, it appears as a hemorrhagic cyst and it causes pain.
  • So, the condition which is causing you pain might be endometriosis or a pelvic infection. Antibiotic will help in treating the pelvic infection, but not endometriosis.

| 

Why am I having black or brown discharge instead of my periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old. I have to get my periods this week. But I am getting black or brown discharge. Is this normal?  Read Full »

Can PCOS cause irregular periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old unmarried woman. Last month my period was irregular. I got my periods on the 30th of last month and it was already 20 days later from the actual due. Initially, I had spotting for five days, then I bled for seven days and again, had spotting for three days. Now, I am bl...  Read Full »

Does my hCG level indicate failing intrauterine or ectopic pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am pregnant about five weeks. However, my Hb is 13.2 but beta hCG is 106.2 and after 48 hours it was 108.4. Is it failing intrauterine or ectopic? Or what should I do now? Currently, I am not taking any medicine.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»