Q. How to overcome overthinking and be aware of things around me?

Dr. Ruhi Satija

I have been having problems where I overthink what reality is. Sometimes, once a day, when I am not distracted, and my thoughts wander, I think about what existence is and what is happening around me. For example, how people are, and I concentrate on my vision and what I see as a picture. I know it sounds bizarre and is not causing me distress or upset, but I wonder why this is and if anyone would know what is up. I think it is probably me overthinking 'deep life questions,' if that makes any sense. I am also struggling with whom to talk to professionally about this issue because I do not know who could help or know of this kind of thing.

#

I have read your query and understand your concern. People with a high emotional quotient and naturally more spiritual tend to lean towards imaginative thinking. What you are having are existential questions normal for your age, but the overthinking part are automatic thoughts when we cannot control our mind, and the mind keeps wandering on its own. You can start on your own to journal these thoughts so that they are out of your mind, and you can put a halt to your ideas. Secondly, deep breathing techniques like box breathing will also help you have a better grasp on your thoughts and more clarity and awareness. It will also help you if you talk about it with someone. A psychotherapist is a good option; they will help you recognize these thoughts and also help you learn techniques to modify them at your will. You can find a local therapist, or we can start counseling therapy sessions online via video or audio consultation.

|