Q. How to determine ovulation period?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta
Published on Jan 07, 2019

I need help in understanding an ovulation period. My last period began around 23 or 24. My period lasts approximately for 6 to 7 days, and my cycle is sometimes irregular and it will be 30-32 days. Can you help me determine my ovulation period? I am currently on Blisovi Fe 1.5/30.

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I hope you know that the medicine you are taking (for whatever reason) is an oral contraceptive pill. These medicines prevent ovulation, so no period of ovulation.

Now let us consider, as if you are not taking medicine, and have irregular cycles. Calculating from the first day of your last period date add 30/32 (menstrual cycle length) days and mark the date of expected next period (the first day). Generally, the rule of thumb says ovulation occurs 14 days or 2 weeks before the next expected first day of the period. The accuracy increases, if you take an average of your last three cycle lengths.

To identify the exact ovulation date (preferably in case of irregular periods), you may use ovulation check kit available in the market between two days before and after the expected date of next ovulation.

Why am I getting frequent bacterial infection in vagina?

Query: Hello doctor, I was not having periods on my own. They use to be so uncontrollable and the doctor kept saying wait 10 years and I took myself off all medications that she gave me and went two years without any. I am 27 and I am back to having regular menstruation every month. They not on the same d...  Read Full >>

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, birth control pills itself help in controlling your PCOS with added lifestyle modifications like a balanced diet and physical exercise. So keep up the good effort but now you need to stop the pills. Check if you are ovulating regularly or not with the urine ...  Read Full

I had a laparoscopic removal of a chocolate cyst.Is it possible for me to get pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old female. I am not yet married. In October 2013, I had a laparoscopic removal of a chocolate cyst measuring 10cm. The doctor suggested me tablet Ovral-L. But, after that I had aneurysm and could not take those tablets. Now, when I got scanning done 4 days ago, they fo...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, there are chances for the recurrence of chocolate cyst. Usually the cyst wall is removed while doing cystectomy (removal of the cyst) to decrease the chances of recurrence. For this, you can consult your gynaecologist and take only progesterones or GnRH agoni...  Read Full

I am trying to conceive since eight months. Can I have some advice on ovulation prediction?

Query: Hi doctor,When should I expect ovulation to occur if my cycles are different each month? It has been ranging from 31-35 days. We are trying to conceive, and I take prenatal vitamins every day. We use Pre-seed lubricant and have been trying for eight months now with no luck. Can I have some advice on...  Read Full >>

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Generally, the rule of thumb is that ovulation takes 14 days before the next periods. In your case, you can take an average of your last three cycles and check with ovulation kit available in the market, starting from two days before two days after the extrapolated date...  Read Full