Q. How can frequent bacterial infection in vagina be treated?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta
Published on Feb 22, 2019

I was not having periods on my own. They use to be so uncontrollable and the doctor kept saying wait 10 years and I took myself off all medications that she gave me and went two years without any. I am 27 and I am back to having regular menstruation every month. They not on the same day but they come for 5 days out of the month and are like 27 days apart. But my other problem is bacteria keep coming back why and why have I not got pregnant yet? What would be my next step?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

First of all, birth control pills itself help in controlling your PCOS with added lifestyle modifications like a balanced diet and physical exercise. So keep up the good effort but now you need to stop the pills. Check if you are ovulating regularly or not with the urine ovulation kits available in the market. If you are still not, you may need some fertility boosting medicines.

Secondly, you need to do the following to prevent the BV to recur:

1. Avoid any kind of vaginal douches. These wash away the good bacteria as well, clean with normal water while taking the bath.

2. Have probiotics for two weeks to grow back the vaginal flora.

3. Use cotton panties and avoid using tampons. Use pads preferably.

4. Avoid oral sex from the male partner.

5. Need to use Metronidazole vaginal pessary for a week to clear the BV.

I hope these measures help you out well. Do start using Folic acid supplements.

Accidentally, had birth control pill during pregnancy. What shall I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I got my last period on the 1st of last month. Two days back, I used birth control pills. But, I am 2 weeks pregnant now. Will it cause any side effect?  Read Full »

Please suggest ayurvedic medication for infection resistant to antibiotics.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male. I was addicted to cold drinks which had been getting me sick (catching a cold) over the past nine years. Doctors treated me with antibiotics such as Amoxicillin, Cloxacillin, Moxifloxacin, Cefpodoxime, Azithromycin, andSporidex which worked very well many ti...  Read Full »

Will PCOS delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old. My height is 5'4" and weight is 70 kg. We have been trying for pregnancy for a year. My husband's reports were all normal. I am having PCOS, but my periods are very regular. I am on Oxetol 300 mg for partial seizure since one year. I am also taking Metformin 500 mg t...  Read Full »