Q. Why do I have pain in breasts?

Dr. Settipalli Saravan Pramod

I am 19 years old, and I am not sexually active. I have pain in the breast on both sides. It got started before few days, and my left breast has got changed in texture close to my nipple. It is too sore. The breast pain is not constant. It happens when I wake up, when I run or when I press them. I have not got my periods this month. It is not abnormal. I got a heavy period last month, and I have pain in my lower abdomen for a few months. It is always sudden and sharp. It is not constant. I do not know the reason for having this problem. I had vitamin D deficiency before few years. Please suggest.

#

There are many possible causes for having breast pain. Hormonal fluctuations related to menstruation or pregnancy are often responsible for breast tenderness. Having some degree of swelling and tenderness just before a period is reasonable. The common causes of breast pain are menstruation and pregnancy. Breast pain is common during the first trimester.

Breast pain also occurs when having a pregnancy at a young age, and when having puberty in both girls and boys. The other reasons can be breastfeeding, fibrocystic breast changes, and mastitis in which a blocked and infected milk duct have some redness. It is usually associated with breastfeeding and during premenstrual syndrome.

Please say whether you had any discharge from your nipples, like blood or pus. Please tell if you had any breast infection with localized redness, pus or fever. Please say whether you had any new lump associated with pain. You have to wear a well-fitting brassiere for support, especially if your breasts are large. You can have lower abdominal pain due to some reasons ranging from caliculi to appendicitis. Vitamin D deficiency does not cause these symptoms. You can apply ointment over the breast if you have any superficial infection.

|