Q. There is bruising and pain in my hip. What is the remedy?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 25, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am having pain and light bruising below my left hip since a week. It was not caused by banging/slamming into something. I was doing stomach crunches and then went for running. I felt discomfort initially while running, then got progressively worsened.

Movement was matched with intensive pain for 36 hours, then steady, milder pain ever since. I cannot tell if it is muscular or a crossed nerve. There is no noticeable swelling, there is just bruising and pain with movement.

What is the diagnosis and remedy?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.

• You have mentioned pain and bruising around your hip region since a week after physical exercise.
  • What I can make out is that you have had a soft tissue injury which can be exactly pointed out with physical examination.

I can tell you a general protocol for soft tissue management which consists of :

• Activity restriction for next 2-3 weeks or till the time you are free from pain.
  • Gentle anti-inflammatory medications for next 5-7 days. 
  • Ice packs for local application.
  • Even after 2-3 weeks, if you have to start with your physical exercise programme, then do proper pre activity warm up, adequate muscle conditioning, short increments in physical activity with each day and avoid any activities which increase your pain.
  • Normally most of the soft tissue injuries can be managed conservatively within 3-4 weeks, in the event your pain does not subside, there may be a necessity to investigate further in the form of MRI, etc.
  • Also if there is an increase in swelling, pain or any other discomfort, I advise you to consult your orthopaedic surgeon for a proper physical examination.

Revert back to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|