Q. Is there any treatment for chronic pancreatitis with calcium build-up in the pancreatic duct?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

My wife had pancreatitis, and now she has scarring and calcium buildup in her pancreatic duct.

According to her doctor, there is nothing to be done, and she has to live on a liquid diet.

I am looking for a second opinion because I do not want her to die from this.

Any help is appreciated. Is there anything that can be done for this?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology
#

As per the description, she is suffering from chronic pancreatitis. In this, a persistent inflammation develops in the pancreas.

Over time, the inflammation causes scarring and damage to parts of the pancreas. This can then lead to enzymes and insulin deficiency. The lack of enzymes causes poor digestion of food (malabsorption), and lack of insulin causes diabetes.

The clumps of calcium are deposited and can form stones in the pancreas. Calcium stones or scarring of the pancreatic tubes (ducts) may block the flow of enzymes along the pancreatic ducts.

Enzyme replacement medication may be needed if the low level of enzymes causes poor digestion of food and steatorrhoea. Capsules containing artificial enzymes are taken with meals.

Restricting fat in the diet may be advised if steatorrhoea is bad.

Insulin is given if diabetes develops. Surgery is only rarely needed, and the patient often does well on medical therapy.

Please message the reports of ultrasound, CT scan, and blood enzymes, for a better professional advice. As most of the patient get stable on medical therapy. It is difficult to understand why she is on an only liquid diet, and why the doctor is not managing it and giving up. I want to go through all reports and paper.

Revert with more information to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|