iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersFamily PhysicianpancytopeniaI am getting bruises, hives, and angioedema. What could be the reason?

What is the cause of easy bruising, hives, and angioedema?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 23, 2021
Reviewed AtJune 10, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am getting bruises, hives, and angioedema.

My blood test report says:

1) WBC 3.6 (low).

2) RBC 3.64 (low).

3) Hemoglobin 10.4 (low).

4) Hematocrit 32.6 (low).

5) Mean cell Hgb concentration 31.9 (low).

6) Platelet count 143 (low).

7) Mean platelet volume 9.0 (low).

8) Neutrophil 1.51 (low)

What do I need to do to fix this, and what could be wrong?

Please guide me.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

You have been suffering from easy bruising, hives and angioedema. According to your investigation report, your total RBC (red blood cells), WBC (white blood cells), platelet count as well as hemoglobin, hematocrit, mean cell Hgb (hemoglobin) concentration, mean platelet volume and neutrophil count are low. You are now suffering from pancytopenia. Pancytopenia may result from various disease conditions like:

1) Aplastic anemia.

2) Megaloblastic anemia.

3) Vitamin B12 deficiency.

4) EBV (Epstein-barr virus).

5) CMV(cytomegalovirus).

6) AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome).

7) Hepatitis.

8) Bone marrow disorders.

9) Leukemia.

10) Lymphoma.

11) Myelodysplastic syndromes.

12) Liver diseases.

13) Autoimmune diseases like SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus).

14) Chemotherapy or radiotherapy.

15) Medications and many more.

Treatment depends on causes. Some investigations like PBF (peripheral blood film), Vitamin B12 assay, bone marrow aspiration, biopsy, and some other tests may be needed to detect the exact underlying causes for your present sufferings and then treat them accordingly. As your platelet count is low, you can develop bruises easily. Again, allergic reactions to any causes, low RBC level or anemia, autoimmune conditions may cause angioedema and hives.

You should take iron-enriched foods and antihistamines in case of a history of allergic reactions. In addition, you should provide more information like history of allergy, medications, family history, previous disease history, and anything associated with current sufferings.

Take care and let me know if I can assist you further.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Family Physician

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy